Excel VBA strange result returning integer of the result of a mathematical sum

Thebatfink

Hi, I am scratching my head and can not see what the issue is here..

If I enter a formula in a cell
VBA Code:
=INT(559/1.118)
I get the result, 500 as I expect.

If I attempt this in VBA, I consistently get the result 499?? Examples:
VBA Code:
Private Sub test()
Dim a As Long
Dim b As Double
Dim c As Double
a = 559
b = 1.118
c = a / b
MsgBox c
MsgBox Int(c)
MsgBox Fix(c)
End Sub
c is returned as 500 as you would expect. But with either Int or Fix, it returns 499 in the message prompt.

VBA Code:
Private Sub test2()
MsgBox Int(559 / 1.118)
End Sub
499 is returned in the message prompt.

Why does it do this? I suspect it is something to do with floating point precision perhaps, but I don't understand why exactly?

Could there be a case when thats not possible and how do you know when these errors are then present enough to impact whats coming out at the end

I probably cannot answer to your satisfaction. So this will probably be my last contribution to this thread.

We cannot know ahead of time. The key is to understand the root cause of the problem and to choose a work-around strategy that fits the situation.

The root cause is: most decimal fractions (and integers larger than 2^53) cannot be represented exactly in 64BPF. Instead, they are approximated by a sum of 53 consecutive powers of 2.

And the binary approximation of a particular decimal fraction might vary depending on the magnitude of the number. That is why, for example, 10.01 - 10 = 0.01 returns FALSE(!).

For most calculations that involve or result in decimal fractions, we expect the result to be accurate to some number of decimal places.

In such cases, we can explicitly round calculations to the required number of decimal places (or significant digits or unit of time).

But that did not apply to your situation because you wanted to preserve the full precision of the division.

For your situation, integer arithmetic was a good work-around because the divisor is accurate to a specific number of decimal places.

That might not work when the precision of the divisor is unknown or variable.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristinh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back