Excel VBA URLDownloadToFile API Call Problem

sdbos

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Problem Description

I am using Excel 2003 and the API function URLDownloadToFile. My procedure downloads a text file from my website to my PC. However, the contents of that text file become concatenated upon download. I am unable to understand why the original formatting of the text file is changed when using the URLDownloadToFile procedure. For example, I have a text file on my PC containing strings of numbers that looks similar to the following:

I upload this file via FTP to my web server without any problems. Using my FTP program, I can then transfer the file directly back to my PC. When I check the formatting of the just-transferred file, it appears exactly as shown above. However, when I try to transfer the file using URLDownloadToFile using Excel, the file is still downloaded from my website without any error. But, the contents of the text file have been concatenated. For examples, the contents of the file now appear as the following:

Any ideas on why this is happening???

My PC / System Background
- Excel 2003 running on Windows Vista Ultimate, 4 GB RAM

Copy of Source Code (Module1)

Option Explicit

Declare Sub sleep Lib "kernel32" Alias "Sleep" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)
Private Declare Function URLDownloadToFile Lib "urlmon" _
Alias "URLDownloadToFileA" (ByVal pCaller As Long, _
ByVal szURL As String, ByVal szFileName As String, _
ByVal dwReserved As Long, ByVal lpfnCB As Long) As Long

Sub testcode()

Dim intDone As Integer
Dim ans As Integer
Dim intSum As Integer

Call PauseProcedure

intDone = URLDownloadToFile(0, "http://www.palomardata.com/testfile.txt", "C:\Users\Matt\Desktop\testfiledownload.txt", 0, 0)

Call PauseProcedure

End Sub

Sub PauseProcedure()

sleep 100

End Sub

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back