Exception report in Excel

mmarc2000

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Excel report example.PNG
Hello Community! I have a report building question. I have a large data table (tens of thousands of rows) where I need to test for exceptions. The data shows employee charges to our customers for each month (see example). Each employee is pre-assigned to a department and sub department. The employee needs to select the subprocess, the customer, the project, as well as other data points when entering the charge. I need to generate an "exception report" based on this employee input. For example, only the Engineering department should be charging the customer "Meta". Project "W" should only be used by the Quality Control department. The subprocess "Gray" cannot be charged to customer "P&G". Let's say there are10 different exceptions I need to test for. Using formulas or pivot tables, what are some best practices on how to handle these multiple exception queries? Note: I cannot use VBA or Power BI for this solution. Thanks!!

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I cannot use VBA or Power BI for this solution.

If so, then what Excel tools are you thinking about as far as a solution to your problem? You have described some fairly complex functionality.

Upvote 0
If so, then what Excel tools are you thinking about as far as a solution to your problem? You have described some fairly complex functionality.
Unfortunately the client is limiting me to Excel formulas or pivot tables. I am exploring the +FILTER formula and also looking at building tables of "correct data combinations" that i could lookup against. I'm open to other ideas.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back