Exporting from Excel to Outlook

John North

Hi, I realise that this issue has been discussed many times, and I've checked all the threads, the Microsoft site and several resources on the web, all to no avail, and I'm tearing my hair out.

It should be so simple: I've got a worksheet containing 535 public house contact details. The first row contains the names of the columns: Company, Business Street, Business Street2, Business City, Business State, Business Postal Code, Business Phone. The subsequent rows contain the contact information, in columns. (I'm based in the UK so I started by using British-style names, but then renamed according to the US convention in case the naming was causing the problem). I highlighted and named the range, including the titles: Insert>Names>Create. When I import into Outlook (Import and export>Import from another program or file>Microsoft Excel>Browse,Allow duplicates to be created>Select destination folder. I'm then invited to map the fields by drag-and-drop, which I've done, clicking OK for each field, and then I click "finish". A progress bar indicates that the import is taking place but when I examine the result I've only got one piece of contact information in each "card" in Outlook. This seems to be the first field I mapped. I've tried doing separate imports for each field, but the current import just overwrites what's already been imported.

I've also got the same info in a worksheet saved as a CSV: Company,Business Street, Business Street2,Business City,Business State,Business Postal Code,Business Phone

When I import this I get all the info in one field in each card.

What am I doing wrong? I've tried the procedure in Outlook 2003 & Excel 2003 on my main machine and in Outlook 2000 & Excel 2000 on my laptop, both with the same result.

PS. While writing this I copied the CSV to a text file in Notepad, renamed it *.csv, and imported and it worked! So I have a workaround, so no-one waste any time, but I'd still like to know what I've been doing wrong, if anyone can spare the time. I don't like unsolved problems. Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aby2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back