Extra spaces in a copy/paste from Excel into Word as a link with HTML formatting

met45

Hi,

I have a very simple sheet in Excel 2010 with basic conditional formatting: red if the number is negative, green if it is positive. I applied a number code to add a plus sign or minus sign in front of the number depending on how it gets calculated:

Code:
+#,###;-#,###

The problem is that when I copy/paste any cell into Word 2010 as a link with HTML Formatting, extra spaces get added above and below the number as if there is some extra padding applied. When in Word, I hit ALT-F9 to see the display codes and all I see is this:

Code:
{ LINK Excel.Sheet.12 "C:\\My Documents\\Temp\\Book1.xlsx" "Sheet3!R22C9" \a \f 4 \h }

The extra space above and below even occurs without any of my conditional formatting. If I open up a brand new sheet, type in a number, then copy/paste that into Word as a link with HTML formatting, the spaces still get added. If I try to delete the spaces in Word then it deletes the entire thing because its all part of the same cell. Example:

25an3wm.gif

What am I missing here and how do I eliminate those extra spaces? I've already tried word wrapping, aligning the cells left, justifications, etc. Nothing works!

thanks for your help!!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Welcome to MrExcel.

Try Paste Special, check Paste Link and choose Microsoft Excel Worksheet or Formatted Text (RTF).

Upvote 0
Welcome to MrExcel.

Try Paste Special, check Paste Link and choose Microsoft Excel Worksheet or Formatted Text (RTF).

I try this and still get the same spaces above and below the data. I'm trying to copy a 3x3 group of cells into a Word doc and the spaces remain. See this example:

29n6wsl.gif

Even on a blank Word file, those additional spaces get added above and below.

Upvote 0
Change the formatting of the source cells to Number or Text or General. This problem arises if cells are formatted as Accounting.

Upvote 0
Hello DBhat,

I still have this same problem but your solution doesn't solve it...

I also posted this question here: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...ste-excel-into-word-link-html-formatting.html

Quote:
"I have a similar problem when...

1. Paste a table from Excel into Word as Link - HTML format or RTF;
2. Extra line (paragraph) is added right before the table;
Note: MSO 2010 version used;

Is there anyway of removing this extra line before the table? The table is presented and updated correctly but this extra line makes the table to be separated from the previous title bullet, when p. e. changing page.
"

Does anyone have a solution to remove the extra line?

Regards,
v

Upvote 0
Change the formatting of the source cells to Number or Text or General. This problem arises if cells are formatted as Accounting.
A little late in replying, this issue has bugged me for ages and it was a simple solution, so belated thanks.

Upvote 0
I know this is a very old thread, however I did find it when trying to solve my Excel to word formatting issues.

So I will post the best solution I found in the hope that someone else finds it and it saves them some time.

I had no idea you could 'paste special' a bitmap image into word and link it to the source. This way, the table looks exactly like it does in Excel, and you can resize it easily as an image in word. The difference is that the image updates with any changes you make in Excel.

Essentially, table in Excel, image in word. But image updates for any changes you make in Excel. Wish I had known that a few hours ago.... not loving life at the moment... guess some lessons are hard to take and at least I know that I will never forgot this lesson. Hope it helps someone in future.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back