Extract data from a table in specific column order

roxy1976

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spreadsheet table and need to run a report to extract data from a selection of columns, in a specific order different to that which is received.

As this is a task I do often, it is a pain to handover in my absence bc I need to re-sort the spreadsheet each time; and the headers differ (so I need to match them... e.g. Name is User, Invoice is Number etc but it's not an issue if it is automatically ordered) so I have to match them up each time. Unfortunately despite my efforts of persuasion, I have no control over the arrangement of data received or uploaded as these are uniform across many other areas.

So far, I have a workaround where I have numbered the columns I need, in the order I need them, then I simply sort them. But I need something a bit more automatic for those people who will be doing this in my absence and are much less Excel savvy.

In summation: once data is entered into the target sheet, I would like the summary sheet to pull through the required columns (Row 2), in a specific order (Row 1)

TIA! :)

e.g.

ABCABCABCABCAB
2InvoiceSequencePeriodDateAC1AC2PhoneNameCodeTitleOUT1OUT2OUT3OUT4

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)
Office 2021 :) sorry, I will update that now! thanks x

Upvote 0
Thanks for that. (y)
How about
Excel Formula:
=LET(Data,Sheet1!A2:L100,INDEX(Data,SEQUENCE(ROWS(Data)),{5,6,1,4,9,7,8,11,12}))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back