Extract dollar amount from text in range, then total those amounts on summary

DDRA Steampunk

Hi :) End users will be just pasting the monthly report CSV into the helper template. I'm working with another company's data so I'm forbidden from just fixing the horrible format where the dollar amounts are in a sentence like "$37.84 sent to your bank account". The formula to get each numeric from the text was easy, but I have no idea how to then get it to Sum without using some kind of helper column. I believe there is a VBA function to just run the entire range through the formula and aggregate the results. I could be wrong though! Would also accept a formula based solution.

Number of pages is fixed to 15: Index, Terminology, Summary, 12 x Month page
Columns of Data are fixed to A through H: Date, Type, Info, Currency (could be USD or CAD), Amount, Fees & Taxes, Net Balance
Rows are expandable, clients may have anything between 0 and theoretically infinite number of transactions

Formula currently used to extract the Numeric Value: =(TRIM(MID(C3,FIND("$",C3)+1,FIND(" ",C3)-FIND("$",C3)-1)))

Current Sum example: =SUMIF(January!$B:$B,"deposit",January!$F:$F)
Side note, I think the reason I can't pop the month name in by Indirect is because it's full column as Range? I've only used indirect looking for a particular cell so limited experience.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
In vba, this is how I might get the dollar amount: Val(mid(yourRangeHere,2)). In immediate window using my selected range:

?val(mid(sheets("sheet6").range("d5"),2))
returns 37.84
To sum them you'd have to loop over the range(s), but what good would it do to add $10 US to $10 CDN? If you need separate sums based on currencies it will be more complicated.

Upvote 0
How about using
Excel Formula:
=TRIM(MID(C3,FIND("$",C3)+1,FIND(" ",C3)-FIND("$",C3)-1))+0

Upvote 0
In vba, this is how I might get the dollar amount: Val(mid(yourRangeHere,2)). In immediate window using my selected range:

?val(mid(sheets("sheet6").range("d5"),2))
returns 37.84
To sum them you'd have to loop over the range(s), but what good would it do to add $10 US to $10 CDN? If you need separate sums based on currencies it will be more complicated.
Ah, I wasn't clear there. Each user has 1 currency but different users have different currencies from each other. I wasn't sure if there would be any reason that might matter. Thanks!

Upvote 0
What do I put in the VBA to return the total into the specific cell on the summary page? I'm sorry I'm being dumb about this! Lately it's like nothing makes sense to me.

Upvote 0
I guess the way you reference the target cell depends on where the code is located. How about

Sheets("SummaryPageName").Range("CellAddressGoesHere") = val(mid(sheets("sheet6").range("d5"),2))

I imagine there's tons of posted code examples on how to loop over a range using vba if that's where you're headed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexlomt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back