Extracting numbers from at end of a string

rplohocky

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
I am trying to find a formula that will extract the numbers at the end of a string. Sometimes the numbers will be 1, 2, 3, 4 or more. I tried using this formula but it returns B6 118, when I want just 118.
This is what I using in column B:
Example: 12 Count--CAB6 118
My formula:
Excel Formula:
=RIGHT(B3,SUM(LEN(B3)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B3,{"0","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9"},""))))
My return is: B6 118
I think I need to add something to the formula that will take the numbers after the last space.

Thank you.

I'm not sure that I understand. Your original post asked for the number after the last space. Are you now suggesting there are no spaces?

It would be good if we could have (preferably with XL2BB ) a sample of 8-10 examples of your data showing any variety that can occur with your data and the expected results. It is always difficult to give a robust but efficient suggestion for something where there is only one example.
This is an example of how this formula will be used. The last numbers will only increase in size but no more than maybe 5 or 6 digits.
Cable count.JPG

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
This is an example of how this formula will be used. The last numbers will only increase in size but no more than maybe 5 or 6 digits.
In that case Rick's formula should be fine, but based on those samples, so should this
Excel Formula:
=--REPLACE(B3,1,FIND(" ",B3,9),"")

Upvote 0
Solution
You're welcome - the advantage of having a better understanding of the scope of the data! ;)

BTW, also
Excel Formula:
=--MID(B3,FIND(" ",B3,9),9)

Upvote 0
If your data is as you last showed it, then you do not need to put a formula in cell C3 and copy it down... since you are using XL365, a single formula (see below) in cell C3 will be enough. Clear the cells in Column C and then put this formula in cell C3, it will automatically spill down to the bottom of your data...
Excel Formula:
=0+MID(B3:INDEX(B:B,COUNTA(B:B)+1),FIND(" ",B3,9)+1,9)
NOTE: This formula assumes the number after the CAB text is either 1 or 2 digits long.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If your data is as you last showed it, then you do not need to put a formula in cell C3 and copy it down... since you are using XL365, a single formula (see below) in cell C3 will be enough. Clear the cells in Column C and then put this formula in cell C3, it will automatically spill down to the bottom of your data...
Excel Formula:
=0+MID(B3:INDEX(B:B,COUNTA(B:B)+1),FIND(" ",B3,9)+1,9)
NOTE: This formula assumes the number after the CAB text is either 1 or 2 digits long.
If the number of digits after the CAB text could be longer than 2 digits, then use this formula instead...
Excel Formula:
=LET(X,B3:INDEX(B:B,COUNTA(B:B)+1),0+MID(X,FIND(" ",X,9)+1,9))

Upvote 0
Hi Rick

I think that using COUNTA to determine the data extent is problematic. Even as shown I'm not sure whether we can see B1 and therefore I'm unsure whether it contains data or not & that information affects how far your formula spills. Further, if new rows are subsequently added at the top (but with no data added in column B) results will be missing.
More robust I believe would be this (where 1000 is a row that will surely be below where data will ever be)

Excel Formula:
=LET(rng,B3:INDEX(B:B,LOOKUP("z",B3:B1000,ROW(B3:B1000))),0+MID(rng,FIND(" ",rng,9),9))

Having said that, I think entering a short standard formula from above and double-clicking the Fill Handle is both a simpler task and produces a more readable formula. :)

Upvote 0
Having said that, I think entering a short standard formula from above and double-clicking the Fill Handle is both a simpler task and produces a more readable formula. :)
Okay, something I am not sure of so maybe you know. Is a single formula spilled through, say, 1000 rows more, less or equal in efficiency to putting 1000 live formulas in those 1000 cells?

Upvote 0
Is a single formula spilled through, say, 1000 rows more, less or equal in efficiency to putting 1000 live formulas in those 1000 cells?
Do you mean in recalculation time?
If so, no, I don't know as a general rule. I would expect that it would depend on the specific formulas/functions used.
I did test two of the 'spill' formulas here v the 'short' standard formulas and the spill formulas were marginally faster to recalculate but with the slowest one taking about 1/100 of a second for a thousand rows any slight difference is irrelevant in my mind.

I think that you already have it, but for the record, I was talking about the process of writing such a formula and getting it in place.

Upvote 0
Yes, I was referring to recalculation time. Okay, so the shorter formula copied down makes sense here. Give that, the OP should change the Answer from my post to your last short formula post (Message #12) as that is the formula the OP says he is now using.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back