False positive using IF(SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH

MHamid

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hello,

I am using the below formula and it is giving me FALSE positives for some items.
Excel Formula:
=IF($AB206<>"",UPPER(VLOOKUP($L206,Check_YTD!$B:$T,19,0)),IF(SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(CBNA_LVID,BC206)))>0,"YES",IF($AB206="",VLOOKUP($L206,Prelim_AuditPlan!$B:$K,10,0),"NO")))

The false positive occurs in this section of the formula:
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(CBNA_LVID,BC206))

CBNA_LVID is a list of numbers (some with letters ... numbers in these cells are formatted as text if that makes a difference). Below is a sample of the long list.
LVID Child
C0021
C0036
C0034
C0026
E0129
C0035
C0050
E0372

The within_text portion of the formula goes back to a cell in the main sheet that would look like this: AO Citigroup Global Markets(06024) - 06024. Some cells in column BC for the main sheet may contain multiple codes. The number portion of the within_text cell is what I need searched.

What I am trying to do is see if the code number in cell BC### of the main sheet is within the list of codes in another sheet named range CBNA_LVID. It is giving a false positive for the example code above (06024).

What am I missing in my formula to correct the FALSE positives?

Thank you,

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
What makes you think you are getting a false positive?

Upvote 0
I did a manual search for one of the code numbers from the main sheet (06024) against the list of LVID Child and the code number (06024) is not in the list, but based on the formula it is on the list. makes no sense that the formula would show a YES when it should be a NO. I understand that I have other factors in my main formula, but the SUMPRODUCT portion of the code is where it looks like it's bringing over the wrong result.
I would provide the data, but I can't since it's sensitive data.

This is another example, cell BC### has the following string:
TESTING (06553) - 06553;TESTING (06497) - 06497;TESTING (05218) - 05218;TESTING (07996) - 07996;TESTING 06500
The numbers are the codes and the semicolon separates them. The numbers in my example are not in the LVID Child list, but the formula =SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(CBNA_LVID,$B2))) is showing a result of 122.
*** Actually this result is wrong because it was going past my sheet 2 data LVID Child list. It was looking at blank cells. ****

I've corrected the over 100 result above and now I am getting a #SPILL! error that goes past my main sheet data.

Am I using the wrong formula to do what I need? I need to check the code numbers within the string in my main sheet against a list of codes in another sheet (LVID Child List).

Thank you,

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Firstly your formula will never return No.
Does your search range contain any blank cells, or values less than 5 characters?

Upvote 0
Firstly your formula will never return No.
Does your search range contain any blank cells, or values less than 5 characters?
I see ...
No there are no blank cells. There will always be data. The range value is mostly 5's. I just noticed 2 that are 4 characters and 1 that is 1 character. So it will have to be an exact match.
I also noticed that the string in my main data in cell BC### will not always have these codes in parenthesis, but it looks like it will always be after a dash.

Upvote 0
If you're looking for exact matches to the codes in brackets, maybe use
Excel Formula:
SEARCH("("&CBNA_LVID&")",BC206)

Upvote 0
You shouldn't get a spill error with
Excel Formula:
SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("("&CBNA_LVID&")",BC206))))

Upvote 0
You shouldn't get a spill error with
Excel Formula:
SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("("&CBNA_LVID&")",BC206))))
Ha, I am so sorry, you are correct. I am not getting the #SPILL! error.

Some of the code within the cell string is not always between the parenthesis, but it's always after a dash. Any possible way we can do a dash instead of the parenthesis? Or possibly a wildcard to look for a 5 digit code?

Upvote 0
Is there always a space between the dash & the code?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back