File Archive Spreadsheet

fishezuk

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Everyone!

I am creating a spreadsheet to record and track physical files that are being archived. Whilst I can get multiple 'IF' statements to work in principle there are too many nests for Excel to allow it. I have no idea whether I need to use COUNTIF(S), VLOOKUP, INDEX/MATCH or another formula to achieve the desired outcome.

Here is a basic idea of what I am trying to achieve:

SHEET 1 (INFORMATION)

File Type Date of BirthDate of LeavingRetention Expiry
Letter 01/10/201501/10/2025
Application Form01/03/202101/03/2028

SHEET 2 (DATA)

Keep for 10 years (from DOB) Keep for 7 Years (from DOL)
Letter Application Form

So I am looking for a formula to achieve the following:

1) Sheet 2 (Data) has a column for each retention period with every file type listed in the appropriate column.

2) I need to calculate the retention expiry (on Sheet 1) based on which column the file type is in.

For example, in Sheet 1 (line 1) the file type 'Letter' is in the column 'Keep for 10 years (from DOB)' on Sheet 2. Therefore, the retention expiry on Sheet 1 is calculated as Date of Birth + 10 Years.

In Sheet 1 the file type (line 2) is 'Application form' which is in the column 'Keep for 7 Years (from DOL)' in Sheet 2. Therefore, the retention expiry is calculated as Date of Leaving + 7 Years.

I am happy for the years to be calculated using EDATE for months.

There are a lot of different retention periods but I don't believe it will exceed to 64(?) maximum allowed by Excel. Fingers crossed I am correct.

I hope this makes some sense. I appreciate that what I am attempting to achieve is pretty complex but I am hoping you wonderful people on here can help me out.

Thank you so much in advance for your efforts and support.

John

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Welcome to the MrExcel forum!

I'd recommend you set up your Data sheet like this:

Book2
ABC
1TypeStart Date# of years
2LetterDate of Birth10
3Application FormDate of Leaving7
Data

If you do, you can set up your Information sheet like this:

Book2
ABCD
1File TypeDate of BirthDate of LeavingRetention Expiry
2Letter1/10/20151/10/2025
3Application Form1/3/20211/3/2028
Information
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2:D3D2=EDATE(INDEX(B2:C2,MATCH(VLOOKUP(A2,Data!$A$2:$C$10,2,0),B$1:C$1,0)),VLOOKUP(A2,Data!$A$2:$C$10,3,0)*12)

The description (column B) on the Data sheet must match the heading on the Information sheet. But if you do it like this, then you can extend the table as far as you want, and you don't have to worry about nesting IFs. I can shorten the formula a bit if you don't use Excel 2019.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Solution
Welcome to the MrExcel forum!

I'd recommend you set up your Data sheet like this:

Book2
ABC
1TypeStart Date# of years
2LetterDate of Birth10
3Application FormDate of Leaving7
Data

If you do, you can set up your Information sheet like this:

Book2
ABCD
1File TypeDate of BirthDate of LeavingRetention Expiry
2Letter1/10/20151/10/2025
3Application Form1/3/20211/3/2028
Information
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2:D3D2=EDATE(INDEX(B2:C2,MATCH(VLOOKUP(A2,Data!$A$2:$C$10,2,0),B$1:C$1,0)),VLOOKUP(A2,Data!$A$2:$C$10,3,0)*12)

The description (column B) on the Data sheet must match the heading on the Information sheet. But if you do it like this, then you can extend the table as far as you want, and you don't have to worry about nesting IFs. I can shorten the formula a bit if you don't use Excel 2019.

Hope this helps!
Thank you SO much for your help with this query and thank you for answering so quickly as well.

In the actual spreadsheet, the cells 'Date of Birth', 'Date of Leaving' etc. are not next to each other.

I even managed to add a 3rd reference cell 'Date of file' (i.e. the date of the document/file itself) as a reference cell and get it working thanks to you!

Do I need to reorganise the spreadsheet so that they are next to each other or is there a way for the formula to still work?

Currently, Date of Birth is in C2, Date on File is in L2 and I need to add Date of Leaving into the spreadsheet.

Thank you so much again!

John

Upvote 0
Hi Eric

I have now got the formula working. Please ignore my first reply. I cannot thank you enough for your support!

I hope you don't mind if I ask you one more question. Fingers crossed you don't! Here goes:

Following your example above, on the 'Information' Sheet there is an 'Action upon Expiry' (it's actually in cell O2..)

My 'Data' Sheet is very similar to your suggestion:

File TypeStart Date# of YearsAction at End of Life
LetterDate of Birth10Archive
Application Form Date of Leaving 7Secure Disposal

I would like a formula that will check the 'Information' Sheet 'File Type' and fill in the 'Action at End of Life' on the 'Information' Sheet based upon the 'Data' Sheet contents.

For example, if the File Type on the 'Information' sheet is 'Letter' then the 'Action at End of Life' cell on the 'Information' sheet is 'Archive'. This is based upon matching the 'File Type' and 'Action at End of Life' from the 'Data' sheet.

If the File Type on the 'Information' sheet is 'Application Form' then the 'Action at the End of Life' on the 'Information' sheet is Secure Disposal etc.

For reference, on my actual 'Data' sheet File Type is in cell I3 and the Action at End of Life is in cell O3. However, feel free to use the cell references above and I can try and tweak it accordingly.

Thank you so much!

John

Upvote 0
You should just be able to use a VLOOKUP:

Book2
ABCD
1TypeStart Date# of yearsAction at End of Life
2LetterDate of Birth10Archive
3Application FormDate of Leaving7Secure Disposal
Data

Book2
ABCDE
1File TypeDate of BirthDate of LeavingRetention ExpiryAction at End of Life
2Letter1/10/20151/10/2025Archive
3Application Form1/3/20211/3/2028Secure Disposal
Information
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2:E3E2=VLOOKUP(A2,Data!$A$2:$D$10,4,0)

Change the references to match your sheet, as before. If the "Action" column isn't adjacent to the other columns, you can use INDEX/MATCH or XLOOKUP instead.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for all your support and patience with my requests. It is VERY much appreciated!

John

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back