Fill Cell based on Specific Row and Column Text

temerson

Hello,

I have a matrix and want to create a code if it finds a specific text in a column (Column F) and row (Row 3), it will fill a cell starting on Column V with "-". The issue I have is having the row dynamic where it if it finds "eggs" and "AZ" in column, it will fill the cell with "-".

I have the following piece of a code below but cannot combine it together where it works.

'searches for AZ
Set wsText = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Text")
nLastCol = wsText.Cells.Find("*", LookIn:=xlValues, searchorder:=xlByColumns, searchdirection:=xlPrevious).Column

For i = nLastCol To 22 Step -1
If InStr(1, wsText.Cells(3, i).Value, "AZ", vbTextCompare) > 0 Then
Else
'this is where I get stuck, I am assuming this is where I put the 'searches for eggs in a specific column code
End If

'searches for eggs
Set wsText = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Text")
nLastRow = wsText.Cells.Find("*", LookIn:=xlValues, searchorder:=xlByRows, searchdirection:=xlPrevious).Row
For i = nLastRow To 13 Step -1
If InStr(1, wsText.Cells(i, 6).Value, "EGGS", vbTextCompare) > 0 Then
Else

End If

Thanks in advance!

Ok, how about
VBA Code:
Sub temerson()
   Dim Cl As Range

For Each Cl In Range("F13", Range("F" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
      If InStr(1, Cl.Value, "eggs", vbTextCompare) > 0 Then
         Intersect(Cl.EntireRow, Range("V:AJ").EntireColumn).Value = "-"
      End If
   Next Cl
End Sub

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Ok, how about
VBA Code:
Sub temerson()
   Dim Cl As Range

For Each Cl In Range("F13", Range("F" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
      If InStr(1, Cl.Value, "eggs", vbTextCompare) > 0 Then
         Intersect(Cl.EntireRow, Range("V:AJ").EntireColumn).Value = "-"
      End If
   Next Cl
End Sub

would this replace the original code? If so, we are not accounting if AZ is found in row 3. I need both conditions met for the cells to be filled "-". I'm thinking writing an excel formula into the code and if that would be easier.

Upvote 0
You said "no columns need to be checked for AZ. AZ is static and lives only in row 3." Yet now you are saying that row 3 does need to be checked :unsure:

I'm thinking writing an excel formula into the code and if that would be easier.
It's simple to do with VBA, but I need a clear explanation of exactly what needs to be done.

Upvote 0
You said "no columns need to be checked for AZ. AZ is static and lives only in row 3." Yet now you are saying that row 3 does need to be checked :unsure:

Yes the row needs to be checked for AZ not the Column. We are searching for Eggs in Columns and AZ in rows.

Upvote 0
In that case can you please answer the question from post#7

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but you not making any sense, one moment you say that columns in row 3 need to be checked for AZ & the next you say no columns need to be checked. Which is it?

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but you not making any sense, one moment you say that columns in row 3 need to be checked for AZ & the next you say no columns need to be checked. Which is it?

I'm also confused. I thought it was clear that if Eggs are found in Column F and AZ is found in a row 3, that intersection needs to have "-".

Upvote 0
Yes I understand that, but unless I know which columns need to be checked for AZ in row 3, the code will have to check all 16,384 columns which is going to slow things down.

Upvote 0
Ok I think we have a problem with terminology.
We are searching for Eggs in Columns and AZ in rows.
We are checking multiple ROWS (in 1 column) for the word "Eggs" and multiple COLUMNS (in row 3) for AZ, not the other way round.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back