Filter data with multiple search terms using

wheatley

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hello,

When using filters, how can I add only search terms but for multiple searches. Eg: in the screen capture, I am trying to have the list show only 'Blue circle' and 'Green square'.

demo.gif

I know this can be done with the conditional text filters but I want to just be able to quickly do it from the main filter list.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
:confused: I cannot duplicate your problem.
Windows11,Microsoft365, v.2209 64-bit

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Are you sure? I just tried on another machine (Mac) and I have the same issue. Either I'm doing something wrong or this is a limitation of Excel (am able to achieve this in Google Sheets).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Are you sure? I just tried on another machine (Mac) and I have the same issue. Either I'm doing something wrong or this is a limitation of Excel (am able to achieve this in Google Sheets).
I might if I had your workbook and there is something peculiar about it or maybe we have different option settings.

Upvote 0
I can replicate.
The issue is that you are confirming the Green Square as "Add current selection to filter" by clicking the OK button, but because you did not confirm the Blue Circle as your initial choice by also hitting the OK button then the 'current' filter is still all items, not just Blue Circle.

So you have to confirm the first choice by clicking OK and then for each subsequent choice you can use the "Add current selection to filter" but you must also click OK after each subsequent choice.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. I'm afraid it's still not working. I'm clicking 'Apply' between searches but it just replaces the search criteria:

demo2.gif

To clarify, this is the workflow I'm after as demonstrated in Google Sheets:

demo3.gif

Upvote 0
Your original steps shown in post 1 with the change suggested in post 5 worked for me (in Windows)

However, the gif in post 1 looks like it was made in Excel for Windows while post 6 looks like Excel for Mac. Since I don't have a Mac I'm unable to test or suggest in that environment.

Upvote 0
Am sorry if I'm being dense here but I simply cannot get this to work on either my Windows or Mac machine. Would you be able to post a screen capture of the steps you're doing to achieve this?

Upvote 0
Aha! Got that working (on my Windows machines at least, will have to try on my Mac later). I think I also missed clicking the 'Add current selection to filter' as well as clicking 'Ok' each time. Thanks so much for perservering with me Peter, really grateful! (Your screencap worked fine but in case it's useful, I tend to use this handy little utility 'LiceCAP' for quick easy GIF screen caps. I was able to drag the gif straight to the post editor here).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back