Uzma Shaheen

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
  3. Web
Hey is it possible to use the Filter function to filter my data in a specific order and the give me me the first unique value for that contact number on that date?

For example

Say i have data like this (data is sorted by contact and then datetime)

DateTime…Date….Dept…Contact
01/10 16:06 01/10 Finance 0267
01/10 16:55 01/10 HR. 0267
01/10. 16:78 01/10 0267

In example above

1) I want filter on the date = to cell J1
2) Dept <> “”
3) Contact to exclude anything that has the word SHIP in it

I would want the data to then look like this based on above conditions

01/10 16:55 01/10 HR. 0267

And then using that data - filter on DateTime to give first unique value for that contact/first contact occurrence details

End Result (this is the first record for that contact number from filtered list on that date)

Hey Sorry - i dont have access to a computer at the moment

Essentially all i wanted to is also have the option to filter the departments on its own sheet too so that way i have a unique filtered list using the function you gave and then adding an additional filter to filter department if i wanted to on its own sheet

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hey Sorry - i dont have access to a computer at the moment

Essentially all i wanted to is also have the option to filter the departments on its own sheet too so that way i have a unique filtered list using the function you gave and then adding an additional filter to filter department if i wanted to on its own sheet
Can't you just filter the result table from above assuming it's the same data?

Upvote 0
hey yes thats why i tried doing in the formula

I wanted it to be dynamic so each dept can have its own filtered contacts

=LET(f,FILTER(Table1,(Table1[Date]=$L$1)*(Table1[Dept]<>"")*(NOT(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($K$2,Table1[Contact]))))),CHOOSEROWS(f,MATCH(UNIQUE(FILTER(Table1[Contact],Table1[Contact]<>$K$2)),CHOOSECOLS(f,4),0)))

This formula works beautifully but as mentioned not if i then filtered a step further to just get all departments= department
cell

I tried

=LET(f,FILTER(Table1,(Table1[Date]=$L$1)*(Table1[Dept]<>"")*(NOT(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($K$2,Table1[Contact]))))),
CHOOSEROWS(f,MATCH(UNIQUE(FILTER(Table1[Contact],Table1[Contact]<>$K$2)),
CHOOSECOLS(f,4),0))),
FILTER(f,
(Table1[Dept]=DeptRange))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FINANCE...
Excel Formula:
=LET(f,FILTER(Table1,(Table1[Date]=$L$1)*(Table1[Dept]="FINANCE")*(NOT(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($K$2,Table1[Contact]))))),CHOOSEROWS(f,MATCH(UNIQUE(FILTER(Table1[Contact],Table1[Contact]<>$K$2)),CHOOSECOLS(f,4),0)))

Upvote 0
Thank you

Ill give that a go when i have access to a computer.
At 1st glance not sure it will work like that as its filtering the dept to finance first therefore say i had

01/01/2023 01:10 01/01/2023 HR 247
01/01/2023 01:20 01/01/2023 FINANCE 247

I think the formula will give me
01/01/2023 01:20 01/01/2023 FINANCE 247

However that will be the wrong outcome as its still the 2nd value for that contact number so if did a filter for HR too separately it will give

01/01/2023 01:10 01/01/2023 HR 247

So will appear in both which wont be right hence why what i needed was to use the formula you provided as a whole and then filter that to give HR or Finance etc

Essentially just splitting that end result filter table

Upvote 0
Hey please see my latest post - the latest result formula doesnt give right result as for the dept it could have the contact number appear in multiple departments hence why i need to use the formula you provided and then apply a filter on that to get the department from that end result table

Upvote 0
How about this? Update "HR" to your dept.

Excel Formula:
=LET(t,LET(f,FILTER(Table1,(Table1[Date]=$L$1)*(Table1[Dept]<>"")*(NOT(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($K$2,Table1[Contact]))))),CHOOSEROWS(f,MATCH(UNIQUE(FILTER(Table1[Contact],Table1[Contact]<>$K$2)),CHOOSECOLS(f,4),0))),FILTER(t,CHOOSECOLS(t,3)="HR"))

Upvote 0
Thank you so much
Il give that a go
I didn’t realise you could use let multiple tims

Upvote 0
Hey - thank you once again

For some reason im getting an error using todays dataset (even when testing on say 7 rows of data i get an NA error instead)

So everything with the filter function when stepping through works but when i evaluate the Choosecols i get
(NA, NA, 1, NA, 2) and then when it fully evaluates it just returns an error

Any reasons why this could happen?

Upvote 0
Hey - thank you once again

For some reason im getting an error using todays dataset (even when testing on say 7 rows of data i get an NA error instead)

So everything with the filter function when stepping through works but when i evaluate the Choosecols i get
(NA, NA, 1, NA, 2) and then when it fully evaluates it just returns an error

Any reasons why this could happen?
Are there additional columns?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back