Filtering in Excel

Mamoosh

Hi
I have an excel sheet (photo below) with column B showing "SafetyFeature", and column C, D, and E showing the relative building component. For example, in row 4, the safetyfeature 1 applies to building components 1 and 2.
What I need to see in the results is the safetyfeatures which apply to either building component 1 "or" 3. This means wherever item 1 or 3 is being showed in any of the cells across a safetyfeature, that safety feature is expected to be showed up using the filter.
If I use the regular filtering, it would show those safety features which apply to 1 or 3 in column C, "AND" 1 or 3 in column D, "AND" 1 or 3 in column E. This is when I need to show those safety features which apply to "EITHER" 1 or 3 in column C, "OR" 1 or 3 in column D, "OR" 1 or 3 in column E.
Any idea?

excelmamoosh.jpg

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
If there is room on your spreadsheet, it would probably be easiest to make a new column that checks your condition, and then filter that one column. For example, in cell F3, use the formula:

=OR(OR(C3=1, C3=3), OR(D3=1, D3=3), OR(E3=1, E3=3))

Then, you can use filtering to find the TRUE values that show up in column F.

Upvote 0
Thanks MisterCrash for your quick response.
It works pretty good for me. But I'm working in a company which needs this function for some workers who need different combinations of the building components i.e. digits in the example above. It would be hard for them to write such a formula for every single output they are looking for. I prefer a more straight forward and easy to use function which can be used easily by a dummy! Maybe some sort of formula that "I" can embed in the file, and after that what the "user" does is just marking or unmarking the cells.

any idea?
Again, thanks for the tip.
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/member.php?u=14927

Upvote 0
You can try setting up a table somewhere in the workbook that contains the codes that you want to filter for, then amend the formula so that it checks to see if any of the entries in that list are being used.

Let's say that cell H3 has the value 1 and cell H4 has the value 3. Then enter this formula in cell F3:

=(IF(COUNTIF($H$3:$H$4, C3)=0, 0, 1)+IF(COUNTIF($H$3:$H$4, D3)=0, 0, 1)+IF(COUNTIF($H$3:$H$4, E3)=0, 0, 1)>0)

This checks cells C3, D3, and E3 against the entries in cells H3 and H4. If any of C3, D3, or E3 are 1 or 3, the COUNTIF function will return a non-zero number, which makes the statement true. You can then change the values in cells H3 and H4 to test for other components.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davinroach

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back