Filtering Multiple Entries

george08755

I have a worksheet where we keep track of submittals. In the worksheet, the history of all submittals are kept. So if it took us three times to have a submittal approved, the workbook shows the first two rejected, and the third approved.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I am looking for a way to filter out all of the duplicates, so that only the most recent version of the submittal is displayed. Hope this makes sense. Thank you in advance.<o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
If column A has the submittals, and column B has rejected/approved, just use data filtering on column B.

Upvote 0
Column A has the submittal, column B has the version of the submittal, column C has the status of the submittal. I want to be able to view the status of the latest version of the submittal if it is not approved. To do this, I would need to filter out multiples of submittals, with only the one with the most recent submittal date shown. I am not sure how to do this, or if it is even possible.

Upvote 0
Column A has the submittal, column B has the version of the submittal, column C has the status of the submittal. I want to be able to view the status of the latest version of the submittal if it is not approved. To do this, I would need to filter out multiples of submittals, with only the one with the most recent submittal date shown. I am not sure how to do this, or if it is even possible.

Perhaps a helper column and then you can filter on that 1 column?

NOTE: the formula is an array and will be expensive to run depending on the size of your data.

Excel Workbook
ABCD
1SubmittalVersionStatusFilter
2118851Voided0
3118852Reject0
4118853Pending1
5118861Voided0
6118862Pending1
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Make a pivot table!
  1. Select the three columns and choose Insert / Pivot Table / Pivot Table from the ribbon.
  2. On the Create Pivot Table dialog box your Table/Range is chosen already (Sheet1!$A:$C) -- choose New Worksheet
  3. In the Pivot Table Field List drag:
    • Submittal to Row Labels
    • Status to Column Labels
    • Version to Values, where you'll see Count of Version.
  4. Click on Count of Version, choose Value Field Settings, and change Count to Max.
  5. Back on the ribbon, under Pivot Table Tools, choose Design / Grand Totals / On for Rows Only, so you'll see grand "totals" (actually grand maxima) on the right side, not the bottom.
  6. On the top row of the table itself drop down Column Labels and remove the checks from (blank) and Approved.
The right side will then show the highest non-approved version number of each submittal.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back