Find and Replace Blank Cells with 0 is not working

slam

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Hi,

I'm using Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2208 Build 16.0.15601.20526) 32-bit. It's on Windows 10 Enterprise (64-bit) Version 21H2 OS build 19044.1110. i7-8565U & 16 GB RAM.

I have an activity I have to perform regularly that never works correctly. It is simply to replace a lot of blank cells (about 45,000) with a 0. I select the range, go into Find and Replace, leave Find What blank, put a 0 in Replace with, and check Match entire cell contents. Even though I've got 45,000 cells selected, when I click Replace All, maybe only 600 are replaced. If I click it again, maybe 4 are replaced. If I click it again, 1 is replaced. If I select a smaller amount of cells within the range, I can maybe get 10,000 replaced. It's a tedious and inconsistent process to go through until I can get all cells replaced. Does anyone know the reason this is happening, or if there's a workaround? It's a company laptop, so I don't have the freedom to change any specs.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
I looked but can't find any search results that suggest there is a cell limit, although there seems to be a character limit. If you can't just regard empty cells as zeros, then maybe this method would work for you
Don't know what either method would do to cells with formulas that don't produce an actual result.

Upvote 0
Try turning off some functionality.
Before you do Find and Replace, run this code:
VBA Code:
Sub TO_OFF()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.EnableEvents = False
Application.Calculation = xlManual
End Sub

After Find and Replace has finished, run this code:
VBA Code:
Sub TO_ON()
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.EnableEvents = True
Application.Calculation = xlAutomatic
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi both,

Thank you for the replies. It will be a month or two before I repeat this activity, but I have these tips saved to try out next time.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
You might copy the workbook and revert all 0 to "" then try either suggestion. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back