Excel Find not finding text by row

Tanquen

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
If I search for this text "GEN2-08C" within workbook and by row using find all, it's not finding the same string on the next tab. They are both text and not a formula. If I only change the search by to columns it then finds both.

I have always had issues with the Excel Find tool. Most times I'll have match case or entire cell selected without noticing or even have a group of cells selected that stop the search from finding everything but sometimes I change nothing maybe selecting another cell or just trying it a few times and it will then find the text.

This is the first time I've noticed something like this. I'd though that the search by selection would only ever change the order that strings in cells were found not if they were found.

1692145230798.png

If I change it to by columns and change nothing else it finds both.
1692145273027.png

Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2307 Build 16.0.16626.20170) 64-bit

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Maybe it's just a bad Excel file. Any combo of Match and Look in changed nothing. Only setting the search type to columns finds both.

The only way By Row finds it, is if I go to that tab and select within sheet.
1692146896757.png

Upvote 0
Microsoft 365
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Maybe it's just a bad Excel file.
Easy to investigate that idea by starting a brand new workbook and adding the text in several places on 2 or 3 worksheets & try your By Rows and By Columns searches again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back