Find Function

GomaPile

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all, how is everyone doing, it’s been a while since my last post.

Is there someone who’s able to help us that would be super appreciated for our Hospital Uniform Department.

VBA below was found browsing through Google, weblink provided will take you there (it’s safe).

The VBA does what it supposed to do which is find data within the excel, and we did add our bit too.

The VBA is very similar to the build-in FIND FUNCTION that you and I have on all computers today.

Though the difference between the VBA one from Google and build-in FIND FUNCTION both have their Pros & Cons, but we would love to see them All-In-One. Well to be openly 100% honest to everyone, we’re hoping that someone can help us who knows VBA. Anyways, I tried myself – but sadly no luck.

Build-in FIND FUNCTION:
  • Pros: goes straight to that cell and cycles through to the next matching info & onwards.
  • Cons: doesn’t highlight the cells yellow.
VBA from Google:
  • Pros: highlights all matching info in yellow.
  • Cons: though it doesn’t go straight to the first cell or cycles through to the next.
Only 3 things we are requesting, if possible, it can be done.
  • Highlight all matching cells in Yellow and go to the first highlighted Cell
  • The ability to cycle Back and Forth onto the next cell
  • Range: only lookup in Columns C and D

VBA Code:
'Website https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/5839-excel-search-and-highlight-results.html

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

Dim xRg As Range
Dim xFRg As Range
Dim xStrAddress As String
Dim xVrt As Variant

Application.EnableEvents = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Sheets("Orders").Unprotect Password:="test" '---- change the password to your liking's
xVrt = Application.InputBox(prompt:="Search:", Title:="Search Tool...")
If xVrt <> "" Then
Set xFRg = ActiveSheet.Cells.Find(what:=xVrt)
If xFRg Is Nothing Then
MsgBox prompt:="Cannot find this employee", Title:="Search Tool Completed..."
Exit Sub
End If
xStrAddress = xFRg.Address
Set xRg = xFRg
Do
Set xFRg = ActiveSheet.Cells.FindNext(After:=xFRg)
Set xRg = Application.Union(xRg, xFRg)
Loop Until xFRg.Address = xStrAddress
If xRg.Count > 0 Then
xRg.Interior.ColorIndex = 6
If xRsp = vbOK Then xRg.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
End If
End If
xRg.Areas(xRg.Areas.Count)(1).Select
Sheets("Orders").Protect Password:="test" '---- change the password to your liking's

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

Regards,
Gomapile (NASA2)

@GomaPile
Did you get a chance to test my last code 'Akuini - Davary_Tools_0.7_to_test' in post #43?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
@Alex Blakenburg
Could you test my latest macro in post #43? I'm attempting to incorporate this macro into an add-in, so I need feedback to identify bugs and gather ideas for improving its functionality and performance.
It seems to do what the form indicates it will do. The only thing I could not work out was what the "Start searching after n characters" was meant to do.

Upvote 0
I did a bit more testing, it highlights as you are typing and if you then continue to add a character that invalidates the search, it blanks out the count but does not release the highlighting.
On a large data set you can see it flash every time you enter a character but that is probably ok, given what it does.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-02 212446.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-02 212446.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0
The only thing I could not work out was what the "Start searching after n characters" was meant to do.
Thank you for reviewing my code.
To make this feature work, you need to check the last checkbox.
searach start at n.jpg

but I think I will remove the last checkbox and set the number (in the textbbox) to 1 as the default.

I did a bit more testing, it highlights as you are typing and if you then continue to add a character that invalidates the search, it blanks out the count but does not release the highlighting.
Yes, it's a bug, thanks for pointing that out. (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No problem. Glad I was of some help.
PS: I did try checking the tick box and putting in different values but it didn't seem to do anything differently.

Upvote 0
PS: I did try checking the tick box and putting in different values but it didn't seem to do anything differently.
Not, sure why it didn't work on your side. When you set it to 2 and you only type 1 char in the textbox then the code shouldn't do the highlighting & the label above the textbox should say "Please, type more character".
I'll look into it.

Upvote 0
Not, sure why it didn't work on your side. When you set it to 2 and you only type 1 char in the textbox then the code shouldn't do the highlighting & the label above the textbox should say "Please, type more character".
I'll look into it.

I think it's more likely that I just didn't understand that, that was how it worked.

Upvote 0
I think it's more likely that I just didn't understand that, that was how it worked.
Actually the text "Start searching after N character:" should be more clear, probably it should say: "Start searching after N character is typed: N="
I included this feature to deal with large data. Searching in large data could be slow, it will be faster if the keyword consists of 2 or more characters.

Upvote 0
@GomaPile
Did you get a chance to test my last code 'Akuini - Davary_Tools_0.7_to_test' in post #43?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back