Find specific text in cell

s_1592

Office Version
  1. 2021
Hi there,
I'm looking for a way to find specific text within a cell.

For instance, I need to look for the text "apple" in a cell.

If the cell contains the text "eat's apple" (i.e. whenever the word is uniquely "isolated"), then 1; if the cell contains the words "eat's apples" or "eat's an aapple", the result should be 0.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
For a value in cell A1:
Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("eat's an apple",A1)),1,0)

(though I don't think "eat's" can ever be possessive, so it would be "eats"! ;) ).

Upvote 0
For a value in cell A1:
Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("eat's an apple",A1)),1,0)

(though I don't think "eat's" can ever be possessive, so it would be "eats"! ;) ).

Indeed that was a typo on my end 😅

I actually meant the following:

If, for instance, cell contains a specific text, then 1 (e.g. If I'm looking for the text "apple", then cell "eats an apple" = 1); if cell contains variations of the searched text (eg. in the example of "apple", cells "eats apples" or "eats an aapple" = 0).

I'm looking for a formula which works at scale, assuming thousands of cells to be checked, containing many different variations of the serched text, & multiple difference texts to be searched.

Hope that's clear.

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
I actually meant the following:

If, for instance, cell contains a specific text, then 1 (e.g. If I'm looking for the text "apple", then cell "eats an apple" = 1); if cell contains variations of the searched text (eg. in the example of "apple", cells "eats apples" or "eats an aapple" = 0).

I'm looking for a formula which works at scale, assuming thousands of cells to be checked, containing many different variations of the serched text, & multiple difference texts to be searched.
You need to use regex, utilizing "word boundary" & it means VBA, is that ok?

Upvote 0
You need to use regex, utilizing "word boundary" & it means VBA, is that ok?

I wasn't really planning on using VBA, as I'm not very comfortable with it, and was rather looking for a "classic" Excel formula.
However, if VBA is the only viable solution, then OK.

Upvote 0
I wasn't really planning on using VBA, as I'm not very comfortable with it, and was rather looking for a "classic" Excel formula.
However, if VBA is the only viable solution, then OK.

Sorry, I don't know how to do it with formula. Hopefully somebody will be able to help.

Upvote 0
For something as robust and complex as you want, I don't know if that is possible to create a "classic" Excel formula for it, unless you are willing to make a list of every possible thing/scenario you want to check for.

Upvote 0
For something as robust and complex as you want, I don't know if that is possible to create a "classic" Excel formula for it, unless you are willing to make a list of every possible thing/scenario you want to check for.
OK, that's noted.

As a classic Excel solution doesn't exist, I can try working with a VBA one.

I would however require a "for dummy", rather step-by-step guide as to how to implement the solution & properly play with it, I guess, as unfortunately I haven't really used VBA many times before.

That would be really helpful :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back