Finding Customers with the same name

Dan Swartz

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a userform for pulling a customer's information. it works great. But if I have two or more customers with the same name. It only finds the first name. I live in a community of Amish. It's not uncommon to have 5 - 10 customers with the same name.

I don't even know where to start.

Is there a way to search for a name, display all customers with the same name, but show their address so i would know which customer is the correct one and then be able to choose that customer?

This is my code for the current Customer Form.

VBA Code:
Private Sub FindCust_Click()

Dim f As Range

If CustomerName.Value = "" Then
    MsgBox "Please enter a customer name"
    CustomerName.SetFocus
    Exit Sub
  End If

Set f = Sheet2.Range("A:A").Find(CustomerName.Value, , xlValues, xlWhole, , , False)
  If Not f Is Nothing Then
    Address1.Text = Sheet2.Cells(f.Row, 2).Value
    Address2.Text = Sheet2.Cells(f.Row, 3).Value
    City.Text = Sheet2.Cells(f.Row, 4).Value
    State.Text = Sheet2.Cells(f.Row, 5).Value
    Zip.Text = Sheet2.Cells(f.Row, 6).Value
    Email.Text = Sheet2.Cells(f.Row, 7).Value
  Else
    MsgBox ("Customer does not exist"), vbOKOnly
    CustomerName.SetFocus
  End If
End Sub

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I will be on vacation from tomorrow till next Tuesday. I won't have much signal. I'll try and pop on to see what you got. CustomerID was C00001
Ok, have a good time then.

Upvote 1
good afternoon @Akuini! Checking in on progress.
Hi, did you return from your holiday?
Alright, here's what I've got:
Click on "Edit Consumer Info" to display the userform.
In the combobox, you can enter multiple keywords separated by spaces. For example, type "a pa".
If there are duplicate names, all the names will be displayed in the listbox below. Select an item in the listbox, see what happen.
I won't go into more detail for now because I want to know whether the setup is intuitively understandable.So, feel free to explore and let me know if we're heading in the right direction.

Dan Swartz.png

Question:
1. Approximately how many rows of data are there?
2. The code is somewhat complex because I intend for it to be both efficient and easy to use. However, the more complex the code becomes, the harder it is to comprehend and update. Therefore, this is something you need to consider. What I mean is, I could write a simpler code, but the userform might end up being less efficient to use.
Dan Swartz - Customer Database 1.xlsm

Upvote 0
Hi, did you return from your holiday?
Alright, here's what I've got:
Click on "Edit Consumer Info" to display the userform.
In the combobox, you can enter multiple keywords separated by spaces. For example, type "a pa".
If there are duplicate names, all the names will be displayed in the listbox below. Select an item in the listbox, see what happen.
I won't go into more detail for now because I want to know whether the setup is intuitively understandable.So, feel free to explore and let me know if we're heading in the right direction.

View attachment 96974
Question:
1. Approximately how many rows of data are there?
2. The code is somewhat complex because I intend for it to be both efficient and easy to use. However, the more complex the code becomes, the harder it is to comprehend and update. Therefore, this is something you need to consider. What I mean is, I could write a simpler code, but the userform might end up being less efficient to use.
Dan Swartz - Customer Database 1.xlsm
I did get back. It was good.

I will take a look.
Question 1 answer: I don't expect more than 30,000 rows. Even then I believe it will be high. if it gets that big, i believe a bigger and better program will be purchased.
Question 2 Answer: I understand the complexity part. due to the users using this code, It needs to be Easy to use meaning more complex code. I understand I may not even understand what you wrote. but i'm taking VBA lessons and soon hopefully will understand better.

Let me look at it and play with it and I'll see if I what questions I come up with. thank you so much for your help!!!!!

Upvote 0
When you update specific customer data using the Userform, what information do you usually have at hand? I assumed the name and address. That's the reason why I included "address1" in the listbox.
Additionally, I noticed that you don't have information about the customer's phone number. May I ask why?

Upvote 0
When you update specific customer data using the Userform, what information do you usually have at hand? I assumed the name and address. That's the reason why I included "address1" in the listbox.
Additionally, I noticed that you don't have information about the customer's phone number. May I ask why?
That's a great question. My initial purpose of this sheet did not require a phone number. but now that you ask, I'm guessing that would be a need I should plan for! Most generally, It will be just the address. but I think I should make provisions for a phone number!

Upvote 0
@Akuini one thing I noticed on the workbook. during operation at some point. the headings end up being shuffled into the list. and the heading becomes a customer. I assume this has to do with filtering/sorting. but I would like the heading to remain in Row 2.

Attachments

• Customer Database 1 - Excel.png
    Customer Database 1 - Excel.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
I noticed on the workbook. during operation at some point. the headings end up being shuffled into the list. and the heading becomes a customer.
Ah, you're right, it should be 'Header:=xlYes' instead of 'Header:=xlNo'.
In Private Sub UserForm_Initialize, replace this part:
VBA Code:
With tbl_CustomerDB.DataBodyRange
    .Sort Key1:=.Columns(2), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=.Columns(1), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo

va = tbl_CustomerDB.DataBodyRange.Columns(2).Value

.Sort Key1:=.Columns(1), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo
End With

with this:
VBA Code:
With tbl_CustomerDB.DataBodyRange
    .Sort Key1:=.Columns(2), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=.Columns(1), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes

va = tbl_CustomerDB.DataBodyRange.Columns(2).Value

.Sort Key1:=.Columns(1), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes
End With

Upvote 0
The table is already messed up, so you need to manually get the header back to row 2.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
owais87

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back