Finding duplicate cell entries

Rossjp

Board Regular
I have a lengthy excel spreadsheet in which I catalog all of my Karaoke song collection. I would like to be able to automatically locate (not delete) cells in which there are duplicate song titles. For my purposes just finding these items quickly so I may deal with them in a manner I've already developed is all I want to do. VBA, Macro or whatever would be appreciated. I'm a relative novice with macros and VBA.

For example row 12 may have the song title "Crazy" in column C and later row 1200 may have the same song title. Manually searching the spreadsheet for dupliates is way too time consuming so I think it can be seen why I'm looking to unlock the power of excel to do this for me.

Thanks,

John

I'm just wondering if a macro (VBA) solution would work better? Ultimately I'd like to identify all duplicate song entries and by a seperate macro be able to delete all but the first occurrence of a duplicate song title entry.

Sorry I'm so limited in my understanding of advanced Excel operations. I have worked some with macros (VBA).

Thanks,

John

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
I wonder if some values have trailing spaces. For example here C6 contains 'Crazy ' not 'Crazy' and is not marked as a Dup.

<b>Sheet5</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; padding-left:2pt; padding-right:2pt; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td style=" border-width:3px; border-style:eek:utset;border-color:#f0f0f0; ">C</td><td style=" border-width:3px; border-style:eek:utset;border-color:#f0f0f0; ">D</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="border-width:3; border-style:eek:utset;border-color:#f0f0f0; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td >Crazy</td><td >Dup</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="border-width:3; border-style:eek:utset;border-color:#f0f0f0; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td >Love Me</td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="border-width:3; border-style:eek:utset;border-color:#f0f0f0; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td >Roll On</td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="border-width:3; border-style:eek:utset;border-color:#f0f0f0; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td >Poker Face</td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="border-width:3; border-style:eek:utset;border-color:#f0f0f0; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td >Crazy</td><td >Dup</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="border-width:3; border-style:eek:utset;border-color:#f0f0f0; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td >Crazy </td><td > </td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b>Spreadsheet Formulas</b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >D1</td><td >=IF(COUNTIF<span style=' color:008000; '>(C:C,C1)</span>>1,"Dup","")</td></tr><tr><td >D2</td><td >=IF(COUNTIF<span style=' color:008000; '>(C:C,C2)</span>>1,"Dup","")</td></tr><tr><td >D3</td><td >=IF(COUNTIF<span style=' color:008000; '>(C:C,C3)</span>>1,"Dup","")</td></tr><tr><td >D4</td><td >=IF(COUNTIF<span style=' color:008000; '>(C:C,C4)</span>>1,"Dup","")</td></tr><tr><td >D5</td><td >=IF(COUNTIF<span style=' color:008000; '>(C:C,C5)</span>>1,"Dup","")</td></tr><tr><td >D6</td><td >=IF(COUNTIF<span style=' color:008000; '>(C:C,C6)</span>>1,"Dup","")</td></tr></table></td></tr></table> <br />Excel tables to the web - Excel Jeanie Html 4

You could try selecting all the values in column C then running the TrimAll macro http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#trimall

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back