Finding multiple parts of a string in a cell in a column, and returning the column find

RobG

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have two reports that have similar data, but not exact. I need to tak the information in report A, find how it is read in report B, and then show the result in report B so I can look up that value.

For example
In report A the data reads "canned in water tuna"
In report B the data reads "tuna, canned in water"

More data would be
Report A "black ground pepper"
Report B "pepper, black ground"

I have added report A to Column A, and report B to column B in the same spread sheet for ease.

I found this formula =IF(AND(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(TEXTSPLIT(A1,," "),B1))),"Match","No Match") that works if the cells are next to each other. When I try to expand the search radius to B:B the formula fails.

I would also need to change "Match", "No Match" to Result in column B, "No Match"

Any help here is appreciated

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hi Rob,
Are the two examples you have provided typical of all of the data? ie could you programatically re-arrange one to match the other, so to conver Rep A to Rep B, put the last word first and add a comma? That can be done farly easily in the value to search portion of a lookup/vlookup/xlookup depending on your needs.
Alternately do you have any idenitifiers you could use that are independant of the presented description? Far more simple to compare non-variable identifiers than descriptions.

a way to achieve the swap of description as per your example:
Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A11," ","|",LEN(A11)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A11," ",""))),FIND("|",SUBSTITUTE(A11," ","|",LEN(A11)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A11," ",""))))+1,99)&", "&LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(A11," ","|",LEN(A11)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A11," ",""))),FIND("|",SUBSTITUTE(A11," ","|",LEN(A11)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A11," ",""))))),"|","")

It looks bad but it work for an example where the description in report A is in cell A11.
Alternately you can simplify it somewhat by using a few cells
The formula works by first counting the number of spaces in the description, then putting in a | in place of the space before the last word, then breaking the description at the | character, using mid and left, and throwing in the comma.
Much easier if you wanted to go back from Report B description to Report A:
Excel Formula:
=MID(A12,FIND(",",A12)+2,99)&" "&LEFT(A12,FIND(",",A12)-1)
Where the report B description is in A12

hope this helps someone :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlckr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back