finding relationship between distance and price and how to make decision

saccharinex

Hi Mr Excel,

I really need your help!

Please see the below questions.

Rent a car. The two popular rental car companies in town are Goldee and Supreme. Goldee charges $195.99 per day plus $0.85 per kilometer, and Supreme charges $175.99 a day plus $1.29 per kilometer. You are taking a trip upcountry and will need to rent a car.

a. Construct a spreadsheet model to analyze the two choices. Sketch the Influence diagram of your model.

b. It is likely that this trip will span 3 to 5 days and involve a significant amount of driving. Which company should you go with? Explain your choice.

c. At what travel distances will you be indifferent to either rental company? If the trip is longer than 5 days, will the indifferent distance be longer or shorter?

For part a) I have created a spreadsheet model with the distance kept constant at 180km every day. ( is this correct? or should i change the distance to vary everyday?

Part b) I have chosen Goldee if only for 3 days and Supreme for for 4 days or more. Is the answer correct?

Part C) I used goal seek to find the price to be indifferent to both companies. But then this means that my assumed distance as seen in part A is made redundant. Could you help me with this question on how to work it out?

Thank you!!!!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Hmmm...looks like an assignment....We don't do assignments OR homework, unless we are getting the credits !!!
Even getting us to check your work, is the same as us doing the work.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back