First time poster needs help. =countif consecutive entries help

WMOTT

Hey guys so i'm relatively new to excel and think my issue will be relatively easy to solve based off the knowledge on these boards.

So image in cells A1:A5 I have entered the words either "Yes" or "No". Also in cells B1:B5 are entered the words "Yes" or "No".

So basically if two yeses occur in a row (A1=Yes, B1=Yes) that equals 2 or if two no's occur in a row (A1=No, B1=No) that also equals 2. A combination of A1=Yes and B1=No would equal one and vice versa with the opposite combination.

Now I could do this by myself so far but the part where i'm getting tripped up on is the cells below it. A:6 & B6 through however many. If these cells are blank than I would like the corresponding C cell to remain blank as well.

I've been trying to solve this problem using various combinations of the =countif and =IF functions but can't quit figure it out. Basically I need a formula that will return me this data in column C

A B C
Yes Yes 2
Yes No 1
No No 2
" " " " " "

COUNT = count of Numbers (will not count Text strings)
COUNTA = count of Non Blanks (any value, Number or Text)
COUNTBLANK = count of Blanks
COUNTIF = count of specific value

So basically this is saying if the count of NON Blanks in A1:B1 = 2, Then
=IF(COUNTA(A1:B1)=2

So only if BOTH A1 and B1 are populated (counta=2) will it return the 1 or 2
If A1 = Yes and B1 is left blank (counta=1), then the IF test is FALSE, and the formula returns ""

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
If you wanted to return the 1 or 2 if Either cell is populated
Try
=IF(COUNTA(A1:B1)>0,(A1=B1)+1,"")

Now this will only return "" if BOTH A1 and B1 are blank.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much! You're not only great with excel but also great at explaining the functions!

Upvote 0
Sorry and last question I promise! What about the exact same scenario but when now a no no sequence is no longer acceptable. Now it can only be yes yes? (For a different column by the way)

Upvote 0
That works awesome. The only problem I have with it is when i'm trying to calculate all of this up. Bascially 2 yeses equals a 2 and that works. But I need it to enter a value in for when the two cells have been populated with data but aren't equal to each other, that way I can calculate an overall percentage at the end. Lets say "A1 and B1 both equal "Yes" and A2 and B2 are a yes/no combination. I need to be able to have a formula for an overall percentage of 50%. So far I have just been using count if functions so I would basically do a =countif(range,2) divided by =counta(same range).

I know technically those formulas would all still work with each other to calculate an overall percentage but i've been using conditional formatting (2 = Green) and (1 = Red) so with it returning a blank cell it wouldn't work if that makes since.

Upvote 0
That was actually the first thing I tried and it still works but the problem is when I drag the formula down to cover all the cells in that column, it puts a 1 into the corresponding cell where no data in columns A and B have been entered in yet if that makes sense.

A B C
Yes Yes 2
No No 1
" " " " 1

Upvote 0
OK,

=IF(COUNTA(A1:B1)=2,AND(A1="Yes",B1="Yes")+1,"")

or if you want the 1 if A1 is populated and B1 is Blank or vice versa
=IF(COUNTA(A1:B1)>0,AND(A1="Yes",B1="Yes")+1,"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattstan2012

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back