Form to retrieve info from Excel spreadsheet

JZ999999999

I am new to all this so please bear with me and I am sure this is a very simple form I need to design.
I have an excel (2010) spreadsheet that includes columns of one manufacturers part numbers, and columns with equivalent competitor part numbers.
I need to design a form that a salesman can input one manufacturers part number and it will return the equivalent competitor part number.
I realize they can do a simple find, but for some reason that is beyond their ability. In addition, we want to keep them out of the actual spreadsheet as it will get changed/corrupted/modified and generally screwed up. So I need to hide the datasheet and only present them with this form.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Hello,

you don't really need a form. If your data is in Sheet 2 , hide the sheet (if using FIND is beyond the salesmen, hiding the sheet should suffice). In Sheet 1 use C2 as the input cell then in D2 enter this formula:

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(C2,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"NO SUCH PART NUMBER",IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(C2,Sheet2!A:B,2,0)),"NO MATCH FOUND",VLOOKUP(C2,Sheet2!A:B,2,0)))

this will find an incorrectly entered part number, as well as finding the match or returning no matching part.

If you don't want them to have access to the actual data, then put the source data in another spreadsheete and password protect it.

Upvote 0
onlyadrafter,

Thank you for taking the time & effort to respond. I will be working on this tomorrow and will let you know how it works out for me.

Again, thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back