Formatting and Transparencies

tstevens

I'm trying to format the plot area of a chart and I want to use a gradient where one of the colors is transparent. Is this possible? Everything I can find seems to point to no with XP and yes with MAC. If this is true why does it give you the transparency option in the fill effects window?

Thanks for any help.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hi tstevens,

Even though Excel supports gradient fills where one (or both) of the colors is transparent in general (e.g., for shapes), it does not for the plot area. However, to get the same effect you should be able to make the plot area totally transparent and place an appropriately sized and filled rectangle behind it.

Damon

Upvote 0
Hi again tstevens,

You can't put the shape between the Plot Area and the Chart Area, but you can put it behind both by using Send to Back (Draw > Order > Send to Back on the Drawing toolbar). To see the shape through the chart you must then also set the fill color of the Chart area to None.

Unfortunately, when I tried this in Excel 2002, the screen redraw often goes into an infinite loop. But when it does I seem to be able to stop it by resizing the shape. You might want to give it a try and see if it works for you.

Damon

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back