Formatting pivot tables

Walkon

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good afternoon,

A colleague formatted a pivot table for me last year and when I have tried to re-create the formatting it looks very different. Please see images. The image titled Preferred Format 1 is how it looked when he did it. In that example, each of the following items is in its own column: Student #, Full Name, RFullName (reference full name), SA received, and Ref Count. Further, RFullName(s) only appears when the +/- button next to the Fullname is set to -. His field settings can be seen in the image titled Preferred Format 2.
When I tried to replicate the format, I included the field names in the same areas as he had done (see image titled UN-preferred format 2) however, in my pivot table, rather than having the student number, the Full, Name and the RFullName in separate columns, they are all in the same column (see image titled UN-Preferred format 1).
Any suggestions as to how to replicate his formatting greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Preferred format 1.PNG
    Preferred format 1.PNG
    13.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Preferred format 2.PNG
    Preferred format 2.PNG
    7 KB · Views: 5
  • UN-preferred format 1.PNG
    UN-preferred format 1.PNG
    7 KB · Views: 4
  • UN-preferred format 2.PNG
    UN-preferred format 2.PNG
    7.1 KB · Views: 5

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
My best guess would be that they used Classic Mode.

In order to do that, right click on the PivotTable, select PivotTable Options. Select the View Tab. Check the box next to "Classic PivotTable layout...". And then click OK.
1689191086180.png

Upvote 1
Solution

In order to do that, right click on the PivotTable, select PivotTable Options. Select the View Tab. Check the box next to "Classic PivotTable layout...". And then click OK.
View attachment 95150

View attachment 95150
Thank-you very much! That worked perfectly. Greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Good afternoon,

A colleague formatted a pivot table for me last year and when I have tried to re-create the formatting it looks very different. Please see images. The image titled Preferred Format 1 is how it looked when he did it. In that example, each of the following items is in its own column: Student #, Full Name, RFullName (reference full name), SA received, and Ref Count. Further, RFullName(s) only appears when the +/- button next to the Fullname is set to -. His field settings can be seen in the image titled Preferred Format 2.
When I tried to replicate the format, I included the field names in the same areas as he had done (see image titled UN-preferred format 2) however, in my pivot table, rather than having the student number, the Full, Name and the RFullName in separate columns, they are all in the same column (see image titled UN-Preferred format 1).
Any suggestions as to how to replicate his formatting greatly appreciated.
Perhaps I can bother you for with one more quick question?
Now when I click the +/- button the RFullName(s) appear in their own column (thanks!) but the first one displays one row down from the FullName (see image titled UN-preferred 3). In the Preferred format the first one appeared on the same line (see image titled Preferred 1), which is a significant space saver. I've tried a few of the options that appear when I right click as you showed me earlier, but with no luck so far. Any suggestions as to how to make this happen greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Preferred format 1.PNG
    Preferred format 1.PNG
    13.2 KB · Views: 4
  • UN-preferred format 3.PNG
    UN-preferred format 3.PNG
    4.1 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
That would indicate that, in your PivotTable's Source Data, Natalie has a blank RFullName. Where they had no blanks in Preferred Format.

Upvote 0
That would indicate that, in your PivotTable's Source Data, Natalie has a blank RFullName. Where they had no blanks in Preferred Format.
Hi again,

I do appreciate the quick replies, and am sorry to bother you. I have a ttached a copy of the data table that I beleive the data is being pulled from. See image RFullName data table.

Attachments

• RFullName data table.PNG
    RFullName data table.PNG
    10.5 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0
Ok. Filter for Natalie in the AFulName. Then look to see if there are any empty/null cells in the RFullName column.

Any empties would be the reason why that extra row is being added to the pivot table

Upvote 0
Ok. Filter for Natalie in the AFulName. Then look to see if there are any empty/null cells in the RFullName column.

Any empties would be the reason why that extra row is being added to the pivot table
I think I have filtered as suggested - see image. I filtered the data table.

Attachments

• Filtered RFullName data table.PNG
    Filtered RFullName data table.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
I think I have filtered as suggested - please see attached image. I filtered the data table. I don't see any blanks. Is this where you wanted me to filter?

Attachments

• Filtered RFullName data table.PNG
    Filtered RFullName data table.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back