Formula Help OR/ISNA

Arts

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all

I am trying to do an OR statement to include if a value returns back #N/A or 0 (if a value is found of the look up but there is no value to return, hope that makes sense)

So Harry exists but has no score so this returns 0

I was successful with the ISNA and the 0 individually but cant seem to merge them.

The formula I attempted was =IF(OR(ISNA(INDEX($D$3:$D$5,MATCH(F5,$C$3:$C$5,FALSE))),INDEX($D$3:$D$5,MATCH(F5,$C$3:$C$5,FALSE))=0),"",INDEX($D$3:$D$5,MATCH(F5,$C$3:$C$5,FALSE))) but John still seems to return #N/A

Any help on this would be welcome as always and if possible a reason why my formula failed, I really thought I had it...

NameScoreLookupReturn
James
56​
James
56​
FredHarry
HarryJohn
#N/A​

Firstly thank you for taking time out on the weekend and responding really wasn't expecting that. (unless you were killing time before the rugby started ;))

Ok so stick with me here, where/how is the #N/A coming from? In post 5 I'm asking the OR 2 questions

1, is there an error (ISNA), 2, is the value = 0. Both of these are yes or no questions correct ? So it should only return Yes or no i.e. TRUE or FALSE

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
The ISNA is on;ly on one of the index/match functions & so the other still returns #N/A as can be seen in the 2nd image you posted in post#5

Upvote 0
I think I may have got it, are you saying (speaking in how I see it language) as John doesn't exist therefore there is no score to = 0 hence this is throwing up the #N/A.

Upvote 0
I'm saying that as John doesn't exist the 2nd index/match in the OR will return #N/A & so that is what the formula returns.

Upvote 0
Got it!! I was under the thought that as John didn't exist (not in the look up) this gives us the #N/A which it does then the second aspect of the OR wouldn't be required as the first argument was met therefore giving us a score of 0 but now get the second index match is still going to run and return a #N/A...

Thank you for the help as always and even more appreciative of you responding on the weekend!!

Upvote 0
Glad to help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
FWIW, you could probably reduce the number of times you calculate the INDEX(MATCH()) to 2 like this.

Excel Formula:
=IF(IFNA(INDEX($D$3:$D$5,MATCH(F3,$C$3:$C$5,FALSE)),"")="","",INDEX($D$3:$D$5,MATCH(F3,$C$3:$C$5,FALSE)))

With the newer versions of Excel you'd only have to do the calculation once.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back