Formula: Multiple worksheets, dynamic sheet names within several workbooks, getting cell values

RicInYow

Hello,
The example I outline below I have working within a single workbook however the file size is getting too large to be effective.

I am (trying) to create a new way of handling all the information. In doing so I have 4 (for now) worksheets and their names; WB1= ASSET SUMMARY, WB2= NON REGISTERED, WB3=RRSP, WB4=TFSA

In each of WB's 2, 3 & 4 I have created a list within a sheet called CONFIG. I have created it to be able to add more names. Each name is a Stock that I have purchased. Within the sheets, in A1, I access the list to choose the stock name. The value of A1 then becomes the name of the Sheet I am using. Within the rest of each sheet I track buys, sells, dividends etc. My intention within each of these 3 WB's is to have one sheet per stock.

In WB1 (ASSET SUMMARY) I am creating a an overview for all stock purchased contained in WB's 2, 3 & 4. I intend to subdivide the summary sheet to identify between the 3 other workbooks.

Here's what I am trying to figure out. In the Summary WB I would have one column to display the list of stocks from WB2, leaving rows of blanks to where I may add more, then proceed within that column (starting at line 40, for example) with the second list to display the list of stocks from WB3 again leaving rows of blanks to add more and finally add the list of stocks from WB4.

If in my summary list for the first group list I choose "IBM", I want the various columns across that row to display content from the WB2, IBM sheet, specific cells.

For example: If WB2 with an "IBM"-named sheet has dollar book value in C3 of that sheet, I'd like it to populate that information into a specific cell in WB1. A second cell within WB2 may have the number of shares held for IBM in D3. Each of the last 3 WB's contain each stocks' information in the exact same cell reference, just each within their own sheet.

I can get the Summary Sheet to get the information from IBM sheet directly, however if I sell that stock, within the list of WB1 that name will be removed and I would like all references to it will be removed and across the row the information that was IBM will default to blank, until a new stock name is entered into the list and a corresponding sheet is created in WB 2, 3 or 4. This way I can still have in WB2 a sheet for IBM, but no information from that sheet will appear in WB1 ASSET SUMMARY.

In summation, one cell with dynamic sheet names in one workbook identifies a sheet in another workbook and retrieves cell information related to that one stock.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_a_advisoryforall

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back