Formula Not Showing Negative Values Correctly

Frankinstyyn

Hey all,

I have written 3 formulas that all work perfectly and show the correct value on the formula builder - screenshot below.

Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 14.54.49.png
Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 14.57.29.png

As you can see on the bottom: Result: -1834.94 & -820.4 - that's the correct numbers, but on my spreadsheet the both show £0.00.

I've tried changing the number format, but no joy..

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

You do have circular references. The formula in N4 referes to itself, as does the one in O4.
Ah understood.

Shouldn't the values show in the cell though as they formulas are correct...

Is there a way around this - iterative calculations don't work correctly either.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
For N4 you could use
Excel Formula:
=MAX(0,H4-B4)
and for O4
Excel Formula:
=IF(N4>0,0,MIN(0,I4-C4))

Upvote 0
For N4 you could use
Excel Formula:
=MAX(0,H4-B4)
and for O4
Excel Formula:
=IF(N4>0,0,MIN(0,I4-C4))
Thanks, I don't think it's quite working.

If I add your formula and then update the values, the amount on O4 isn't correct, it should carry the £100, over to P4.

Also the value in N4 should show 0

ExcelHelp.xlsx
BCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR
2SpentBilledDifference
3One TwoThreeFourTotalOne TwoThreeFourTotalOne TwoThreeFourTotal
4$0.00$200.00$0.00$200.00$400.00$300.00$700.00$100.00$200.00$1,300.00$300.000$100.00$0.00$400.00
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F4,R4,L4F4=SUM(B4:E4)
N4N4=MAX(0,H4-B4)
O4O4=IF(N4>0,0,MIN(0,I4-C4))
P4:Q4P4=(J4-D4)

Upvote 0
In that case you need to explain what the formula is meant to do.

Upvote 0
I agree. Without having a full understanding of the entire flow, and how all the different columns are supposed to interact with each other, it is very difficult to help you.

Upvote 0
Okay cool.

I want N4 to calculate H4-B4. If that value is above 0, take everything above 0 and take that off O4
Then O4 would calculate N4(anything above 0)+I4-C4, and anything above 0 to be taken off P4

The overall goal is check I'm breaking even for One, then profits to go into Two, then everything else that's 'profit' should be deducted from Three

Upvote 0
I agree. Without having a full understanding of the entire flow, and how all the different columns are supposed to interact with each other, it is very difficult to help you.
Yep, understood. Tried to clear up on my last reply :D

Upvote 0
I want N4 to calculate H4-B4. If that value is above 0, take everything above 0 and take that off O4
Then O4 would calculate N4(anything above 0)+I4-C4, and anything above 0 to be taken off P4
I'm afraid that means nothing to me.
A formula in N4 cannot take anything off another cell.
With the data in post#13 what should N4 & O4 be & why?

Upvote 0
Just to clarify what Fluff was saying, formulas can only return values to the cells that they are found in.
They cannot affect any other cells.

If you have a bunch of interrelated cells (which is why maybe you had the circular reference earlier), if it cannot be done within the current structure, it may require the use of some Helper Cells or VBA.
Of course, we cannot really tell you if that is the case here until we have a full understanding (i.e. answers to Fluff's questions).

Upvote 0
Sorry, it's hard to explain. Thanks for the persistence!

N4 and O4 should show 0, but if the value was above 0, that amount should be deducted from the other cell..

Hopefully this will help..

Client 1: Let's say I spent £100 (B4) but billed client 1 £300 (H4) I made profit of £200, this value would go in N4 but show me 0 as I've broken even and £200 into the next cell (O4)
Client 2: Then I spent another £100 (C4) but billed client 2 £300 (C4) I made profit of £200, this value would go in O4 but show me 0 as I've broken even
Client 3: This is the final calculation - I spent another £1000 (D4) but billed client 3 nothing (J4), this value should show everything deducted from the above totalling -£600

I really hope that makes sense!

Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back