Formula to 2-way look up a unique identifier and a date, then take the highest number from another column

MrsFraser07

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
So.....this seems complicated to me but maybe someone here can help. What I'm looking to do is the following:

I have two worksheets in my spreadsheet. One has 2 columns of data, unique values (UWI) and dates. The other has corresponding data by month. What I want to do is lookup each UWI, find the corresponding month from the date, and then take the highest value in the first 6 months that it finds. Using the examples of my spreadsheet below, I want to take the UWI from Sheet 1 and the on prod date, go to sheet 2 and find that UWI and the first month it produced, in the first line for example it is 12/19/2009. Then take the highest value of Cal Dly Oil in the first 6 months. In this example it would be 183.95.

The way I can pull the data on Sheet 2 is from the beginning of time, so the data will always have the first 6 months for each UWI. Maybe the best way would be to find the UWI, find the first 6 values of Cal Dly Oil and then take the MAX of that? I'm just not sure how to put that formula together. Thanks for any help!

Sheet 1:
1713476027991.png

Sheet 2:
1713476130722.png

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Try something like. Lock the ranges on Sheet2.

Excel Formula:
=MAX(TAKE(FILTER(Sheet2!Avg Dly Oil Range, Sheet2!UWI Range = Sheet1!UWI),6))

Upvote 0
Solution
I tried that, it doesn't work. I get a number but it is not the correct number which is the MAX of the first 6 values it finds. Thanks for your response though. I'll keep tinkering.

Upvote 0
I tried it again, figured I must have had something incorrect and it turns out I did! I read up on the TAKE and FILTER functions and I had the incorrect UWI range. This solved my problem beautifully! I love learning something new. I can apply this in other spreadsheets. Many thanks Cubist! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back