Formula to find first blank row

achterberg

I searched the forum, but did not find a formula to do this. I need to return the row reference of the first blank row in a spreadsheet.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
achterberg said:
I searched the forum, but did not find a formula to do this. I need to return the row reference of the first blank row in a spreadsheet.

=MATCH(TRUE,ISBLANK(A1:A100),0)

which you need to confirm with control+shift+enter instead of the usual enter.

Upvote 0
I don't know that there is a formula for finding a blank row. I can however think of several ways to find it using VBA. Just in case you are interested:

x=1
Do until cells(x,1)=""
x=x+1
Loop

Or

myRow=activesheet.cells.specialcells(xlcelltypelastcell).row
myRow=myRow+1

The first example assumes data in range A1 and that there are no blank cells in the first column unless the row is blank. If this is not the case, code can be modified to point to a cell that is always populated unless the row is blank. The value of x after the loop stops is the first blank row.

The second example finds the last active row in your spreadsheet. Adding one to that number will give you the next vacant row number.

Hope that helps.

What exactly are you trying to do? I can think of several ways around this type of problem, but it depends upon what results you are expecting.

Upvote 0
First Blank Row

I am trying to find the first blank row (assuming, as you stated, that the data is in range A1 and that there are no blank cells in the first column unless the row is blank) through the last row of the spreadsheet and delete them. I have a formula for the second part already. I need a formula (not a VBA solution) since I need the row numbers (beginning and end) returned so I can incorporate it into a longer applescript that is taking a .cvs file output from a GanttProject schedule and doing magical things and then updating iCal (which is automatically syncronized on the web). Right now I have the cells hard coded, but if the schedule changes, the row numbers may change and throw the whole thing off. I would like to try to prevent that.

And I know that VBA routines can be called from applescript, except that this is broken in Office X.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivek chauhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back