FormulaR1C1 in combination with constants

Sargad_Strut

Hi all,

I have a rather simple code where I want to split a row in two (say a bill). Some of the cells will contain the same information (e.g. date), which is just copied from the row I am splitting. When the row is split, I want some cells in the new row to be the residuals of the total amount (as in the original row) minus whatever value I descide to assign to that same row after running the code. E.g. the bill is for $500, I press "Split" and a row is inserted below. I enter $300 in the original row and the one below now shows $200. This is what I have:

Code:
Sub delaRad()

rad = ActiveCell.Row
    summa = Range("G" & rad).Value
    moms = Range("H" & rad).Value
    tot = Range("I" & rad).Value

Rows(rad + 1 & ":" & rad + 1).Select
    Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown

Range("B" & rad & ":F" & rad).Select
    Selection.Copy
    Range("B" & rad + 1).Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste

Range("G" & rad + 1) = "=" & summa & "-R[-1]C[0]"
    Range("H" & rad + 1) = "=" & moms & "-R[-1]C[0]"
    Range("I" & rad + 1) = "=" & tot & "-R[-1]C[0]"

Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Range("B" & rad + 1).Select

End Sub

At first I thught it worked perfectly, but I later found out that this was only the case for integers; as soon as there are decimals the code crashes. How can I solve this? The three cells you see in the code are formatted as accounting. Or maybe there's a better way of doing this..

Best regards,
Tobias

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Tobias

Where are the decimals coming from?

Upvote 0
Hi Norie,

I am pulling three numbers from the row I am splitting, col G, H, and I. If any of those numbers contain decimal places the code crashes. This part to be precise:

Code:
    Range("G" & rad + 1) = "=" & summa & "-R[-1]C[0]"
    Range("H" & rad + 1) = "=" & moms & "-R[-1]C[0]"
    Range("I" & rad + 1) = "=" & tot & "-R[-1]C[0]"

I.e. "summa", "moms", and "tot" are pulled from cells, but something is clearly wrong and I'm not sure about the format. I get a 1004 run-time error; application-defined or object-defined error. Any help is greatly apprechiated.

Thanks,
Tobias

Upvote 0
Tobias

I can't replicate the behaviour.

What do you use for the decimal separator?

What happens if you change the code to this?
Code:
Range("G" & rad + 1).FormulaR1C1 = "=" & summa & "-R[-1]C[0]"
Range("H" & rad + 1).FormulaR1C1 = "=" & moms & "-R[-1]C[0]"
Range("I" & rad + 1).FormulaR1C1 = "=" & tot & "-R[-1]C[0]"

Upvote 0
Hi,

I think you're onto something here, seems to my dencimal separator (comma) is causing the problem. It has never really been a problem before, I just have to be careful to use "." in VBA. I thought that .Value would extract exactly what it sounds like, but I guess it doesn't. Can you suggest a good way to solve this?

Thank you for your time,
Tobias

Upvote 0
Tobias

So you use , as the decimal separator and ; in formulas to separate parts of formulas?

Perhaps instead of FormulaR1C1 you could try using FormulaLocal?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Correct.

YES, that's the solution I was looking for! I also found FormulaR1C1Local in the list which does the trick as well.

Guess my earlier statement about .Value was wrong; is does indeed extract the value. The problem was more likely when I tried to put the value back as a formula after "=". The decimal separator is shown as a comma in the locals window, if I simply put test=0.25 it would show as 0,25 as well. But when I want to use it in a formula in the sheet it will likely still be treated as a "." decimal point, which causes the code to break down when not using FormulaLocal. Just trying to get my head around this for future reference. Does my resoning seem about right?

Thank you, Norie!
Tobias

Upvote 0
Tobias

That seems about right.:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back