General Network Error debugging

The_Kurgan

The following code has worked consistently until recently when we received this error: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionWrite (send()).]General network error. Check your network documentation. After a while, the user tried again and it worked. I have to assume that the server became temporarily unavailable. My question is, what is the best way to error-handle this? Should I do some sort of a On Error GoTo loop until the network becomes available? At first, I thought I would go to the line above the error, but that only works for one iteration. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Code:
Public Sub Simulate_List1_Click()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Review.ListBox6.ColumnWidths = "30; 90; 190; 90"
Review.ListBox6.Clear
Call Refresh_Review
'PLACE DATA ON FORM
'suspense notes
If IsNull(Review.ListBox1.List(Review.ListBox1.ListIndex, 13)) = False Then Review.TextBox2.Text = Review.ListBox1.List(Review.ListBox1.ListIndex, 13)
'loan & borrower last
Review.Label1.Caption = Review.ListBox1.List(Review.ListBox1.ListIndex, 1) & ":  " & Review.ListBox1.List(Review.ListBox1.ListIndex, 2)
'item #
Review.Label39.Caption = 1
'get data from Master table
'Initialize all variables
Set objMyConn1 = New ADODB.Connection
Set objMyRecordset1 = New ADODB.Recordset
'Open Connection
objMyConn1.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=True;Data Source=FWY-SQL-DAGP09\Secondary;Use Procedure for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096;Workstation ID=SECONDARYTS;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag with column collation when possible=False;Initial Catalog=ReportingAnalytics"
objMyConn1.Open
'Open Recordset
Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
rs.CursorLocation = adUseClient
strSQL1 = "SELECT * FROM WorkArea.Master WHERE Loan_Number = '" & Review.ListBox1.List(Review.ListBox1.ListIndex, 1) & "' ORDER BY [Item Number];"
[B]rs.Open strSQL1, objMyConn1, adOpenStatic, adLockBatchOptimistic   '<------------------------ FAILED HERE ------------------------[/B]
If rs.RecordCount = 0 Then GoTo NoneFound
rs.MoveFirst
'place data in listbox
Do While rs.EOF = False
    Review.ListBox6.AddItem rs(47)
    Review.ListBox6.Column(1, Review.ListBox6.ListCount - 1) = rs(37)
    Review.ListBox6.Column(2, Review.ListBox6.ListCount - 1) = rs(36)
    Review.ListBox6.Column(3, Review.ListBox6.ListCount - 1) = rs(40)
    rs.MoveNext
Loop
'Disconnect the Recordset
NoneFound:
Set rs.ActiveConnection = Nothing
'Close everything
objMyConn1.Close
rs.Close
Set objMyConn1 = Nothing
Set rs = Nothing
Review.Label39.Caption = Review.ListBox6.ListCount + 1
Sheets("Main").Select
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
If the server isn't available a loop won't help, could test that its there before throwing the query into it, and if not escape out and stop the routine

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

I just happened to think of this during the night... The error occurred after I connected, but while I was trying to select a recordset. I guess that would imply it was available and that something happened. Does that sound right?

Upvote 0
i would connect the server. I would step through the excel and after the query has been built capture with print debug, copy that into the server and see if that runs cleanly

Upvote 0
Perhaps you could check the State of the connection before trying to open the recordset?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelfromGermany

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back