General Pivot Table Question

geospatial

Is a pivot table the best way to go when trying to pull how many of each event by month there is? The problem I seem to be having is that if a new catergory name pops up in the column I am using it auto adds it to the pivot table and I do not like that.

Also it seems like to get the data I want I end up having around 50 pivot tables which I think adds alot to the size of the excel workbook. I was thinking if there was a way to do a formula or to a macro that pulls the data for me and places the number in a field it would work more smoothly.

For instance column B has different categories of crimes such as murder, kidnapping, etc. For every instance there is a new row recorded with the DTG in column A, and category in column B.

What my pivot tables do is break it out by month, day, week, day of week, and hour of day.

Then I have another table that makes all this more readable than looking into the pivot tables, but i pull all the information using a getpivotdata formula.

Just trying to make things work easier rather than harder.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9Kimo3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back