Generate list of text values and include "and" when it's the last value.

amautaexcel

Dear Excel Forum,

I am stumped by the following problem. I hope one of you can help me.
Goal: Create a sentence that lists items and it inserts the word "and" for the last entry.

I have a table where the user inputs the prices. If the price is included the items and the price is included in a sentence in a different sheet.

Apples . $5
Oranges $1
Pears $3
Bananas . $2

So for the table above, it would be: "Buy Apples $5, Oranges $1, Pears $3 and Bananas $2"

If the table only had apples and pears, it would be "Buy Apples $5 and Pears $3"
If the table only had pears and bananas it would be "Buy Pears $3 and Bananas $2"

I can string the text with if statements, but I have not been able to figure out how to tell it to include the "and" for the last entry.

Any thoughts?

TextJoin does not account for the "and" before the last entry. Only seems to put commas and spaces. Am I missing something?

Again, the example would be, if they have Bananas and apples only, it should read "Buy Apples $$ and Bananas $$"

Thank you.

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=IF(COUNT(B2:B5),"Buy ","")&IF(COUNT(B2:B5)>1,SUBSTITUTE(TEXTJOIN(", ",TRUE,IF(ISNUMBER(B2:B5),A2:A5&" "&B2:B5,"")),", ",", and ",COUNT(B2:B5)-1),LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,B2:B5,A2:A5)&" "&LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,B2:B5))

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=IF(COUNT(B2:B5),"Buy ","")&IF(COUNT(B2:B5)>1,SUBSTITUTE(TEXTJOIN(", ",TRUE,IF(ISNUMBER(B2:B5),A2:A5&" "&B2:B5,"")),", ",", and ",COUNT(B2:B5)-1),LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,B2:B5,A2:A5)&" "&LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,B2:B5))

I am having a system limitation. The end user of this spreadsheet does not have Office365, so they won’t have TextJoin as an option. Any alternatives? Thank you very much.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi!

You can try this - only put the first formula and drag it down -. Blessings!

Note: If you erase A5:B5 or add some registers... you can see the changes of the formula. The last cell (in this case, C5) show you the desire result. Blessings!

Hoja1

*ABC
1FruitCost*
2Apples$ 5Buy Apples $5
3Oranges$ 1Buy Apples $5, Oranges $1
4Pears$ 3Buy Apples $5, Oranges $1, Pears $3
5Bananas$ 2Buy Apples $5, Oranges $1, Pears $3 And Bananas $2
6***

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:83px;"><col style="width:74px;"><col style="width:332px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
C2=IF(A2="","",IF(COUNTIF(A$2:A2,"<>")=1,"Buy ",C1&IF(COUNTA(A:A)-1=COUNTIF(A$2:A2,"<>")," And ",", "))&A2&TEXT(B2," $0"))
C3=IF(A3="","",IF(COUNTIF(A$2:A3,"<>")=1,"Buy ",C2&IF(COUNTA(A:A)-1=COUNTIF(A$2:A3,"<>")," And ",", "))&A3&TEXT(B3," $0"))
C4=IF(A4="","",IF(COUNTIF(A$2:A4,"<>")=1,"Buy ",C3&IF(COUNTA(A:A)-1=COUNTIF(A$2:A4,"<>")," And ",", "))&A4&TEXT(B4," $0"))
C5=IF(A5="","",IF(COUNTIF(A$2:A5,"<>")=1,"Buy ",C4&IF(COUNTA(A:A)-1=COUNTIF(A$2:A5,"<>")," And ",", "))&A5&TEXT(B5," $0"))
C6=IF(A6="","",IF(COUNTIF(A$2:A6,"<>")=1,"Buy ",C5&IF(COUNTA(A:A)-1=COUNTIF(A$2:A6,"<>")," And ",", "))&A6&TEXT(B6," $0"))

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

John, thank you for your reply. I will give this a test and report back. I appreciate the forum's help. Thanks

Upvote 0
I am having a system limitation. The end user of this spreadsheet does not have Office365, so they won’t have TextJoin as an option. Any alternatives? Thank you very much.

First, add the following code as a module to your workbook using Alt+F11...

Function aconcat(a As Variant, Optional sep As String = "") As String
' Harlan Grove, Mar 2002
Dim y As Variant
If TypeOf a Is Range Then
For Each y In a.Cells
aconcat = aconcat & y.Value & sep
Next y
ElseIf IsArray(a) Then
For Each y In a
aconcat = aconcat & y & sep
Next y
Else
aconcat = aconcat & a & sep
End If
aconcat = Left(aconcat, Len(aconcat) - Len(sep))
End Function

Now control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=IF(COUNT(B2:B5),"Buy ","")&IF(COUNT(B2:B5)>1,REPLACE(SUBSTITUTE(aconcat(IF(ISNUMBER(B2:B5),", "&A2:A5&" "&B2:B5,"")),", ",", and ",COUNT(B2:B5)),1,2,""),LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,B2:B5,A2:A5)&" "&LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,B2:B5))

Upvote 0
Hi again!

If you want and UDF Solution, you can use this code in a module (Alt + F11 - Insert Module - Paste the code here):

Code:
Function Conc$(Rng1 As Range, Rng2 As Range)
    Dim i&, a$, sep$

If Rng1.Columns.Count > 1 Or Rng2.Columns.Count > 1 Then Exit Function

For i = 1 To Rng1.Rows.Count
        If i = Rng1.Rows.Count - 1 Then sep = " and " Else sep = ", "
        a = a & Rng1.Cells(i) & Format(Rng2.Cells(i), " $0") & sep
    Next i

Conc = Left(a, Len(a) - 2)
End Function

And later, use the Conc function like the example. Blessings!

Hoja1

*ABCDE
1FruitCost*ResultBuy Apples $5, Oranges $1, Pears $3 and Bananas $2
2Apples$ 5***
3Oranges$ 1***
4Pears$ 3***
5Bananas$ 2***

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:81px;"><col style="width:43px;"><col style="width:80px;"><col style="width:49px;"><col style="width:337px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
E1="Buy "&Conc(A2:A5,B2:B5)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back