generating a set of random numbers to total a set value

yaldan

Is it possible to generate a set of random numbers between say 50 - 150 whereby the sum of those random numbers totals a value in the spreadsheet which is determined by two other values in the spreadsheet?

Eg: value 1 = 10, value 2 = 300. The difference = 290. Now generate 6 or so random numbers between 50 - 150 that come to a total of 290.

If so could you helpme with formula or script.

Regards

Yaldan

As an extension to this problem, I have dates and the day as columns and also included a working day / holiday flag as w & h respectively. The populated values shall be dependent on flags. If the flag is 'h', then the km should be zero. It should also take into account number of working days by counting the “w”. I have made the sheet but is held up at the flag field.
How to modify this?

jg3kHWd.jpg

WORKING FILE : http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=12237625099340265774

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
can't see the link between this and previous posts, and what do you mean by counting the w's

Upvote 0
but how can we make the random values integers without any fraction please ?

If you want a random integer between -10 and 10, for example, use =RANDBETWEEN(-10,10) .

=int(rand())

That should always return zero.

There is a "corner-case" where INT(n*RAND()) might return n (!) instead 0 to n-1. The defect arises because INT rounds to 15 significant digits before rounding down, and n*RAND() is sufficiently close to n that INT effectively rounds up. I have seen this defect in Excel 2007 and earlier. Not sure it can happen in Excel 2010 and later, wherre RAND uses a different algorithm.

Upvote 0
If you want a random integer between -10 and 10, for example,

hello , yes but how can we make it generate integers (not fraction ) and the sum up of all random values is constant value lets say 20 random numbers and sum is 100

thanks alot for your support

There is a "corner-case" where INT(n*RAND()) might return n (!) instead 0 to n-1. The defect arises because INT rounds to 15 significant digits before rounding down, and n*RAND() is sufficiently close to n that INT effectively rounds up. I have seen this defect in Excel 2007 and earlier. Not sure it can happen in Excel 2010 and later, wherre RAND uses a different algorithm.

yours
Ibrahim

Upvote 0
There is a "corner-case" where INT(n*RAND()) might return n (!) instead 0 to n-1. The defect arises because INT rounds to 15 significant digits before rounding down, and n*RAND() is sufficiently close to n that INT effectively rounds up.

I meant add....

So, if you do not want to use RANDBETWEEN(0, n-1) for some reason, it would be prudent to write:

MIN(n-1, INT(n*RAND()))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yes but how can we make it generate integers (not fraction ) and the sum up of all random values is constant value lets say 20 random numbers and sum is 100

I just realized that you entered your follow-up question in the wrong part of the posting -- the part that "quotes" a previous response. Please do not type between the quote and /quote tags.

Since your question has already been addressed in this thread, please explain (with formulas and concrete examples) what you have done to apply the answers that have been provided, and why those answers to do not work for you.

Even better: start a new thread, referring to this thread and adding your question, with formulas and concrete examples.

Upvote 0
so you want 20 numbers to add to 100 ie average integer value of 5 so 19 x 1 and 81 fits

I would run a macro that aborts if the running total exceeds 100

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blaineSpartan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back