Generic Question regarding PowerPivot & MegaData

James02

Board Regular
Hi,

I'm decent with Excel but brand new to BI tools. I'm interested in a good starting point for a project I'm looking to undertake.

Project: I'm doing a financial backtest that will contain approximately 12 million data points & will grow each month. I will need to run Pivot Table reports on it, % Rank some columns, and etc.

Is PowerPivot the best starting point for me? To start watching PowerPivot tutorials? Any other suggestions or ideas?

Thank you!!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Well, you certainly aren't going to want to party on 12 million rows directly in Excel... :) 12 million+ is easily doable in Power Pivot, though... it's into the range where you have to at least vaguely care about performance. Though, honestly... I would ignore it until it becomes a problem, then loop back and care. You can reach out to me when you those barriers -- perf is my fave :)

Honestly, I believe the best resources are all things Rob Collie. His books, his online training and his website are all amazing.

Upvote 0
Thanks scottsen. I'll focus on PowerPivot for this project. Wanted to be sure before I go down the wrong path. I've checked out Rob Collie as well, he must be the guy whose running the show on Powerpivotpro.com.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back