get function that created the error

IkeMike

Hi folks,

i implemented some error handling in my vba project. when an error occurs i catch it and present some msg-box to the user.

now i wanted to know whether it is possible to get the function that created the error. or the line number where the error occured would also help.

thus simple question: is it somehow possible to trace back the error to get to know where the error occured?

kind regards
tom

Last edited:
holy cow.. you are right

i commented out the lines before the error message and now it works!

it works this way round:

Code:
ErrHandler:

1110  Application.Cursor = xlDefault
1120  Application.ScreenUpdating = True

1130  MsgBox "An unexpected error occured. Please note the message of the next message box and submit it to your pm-tool IT support team."
1140      MsgBox "Line:" & Erl & vbLf & _
                    "Error Number:" & Err.Number & vbLf & _
                    "Error Description:" & Err.Description & vbLf & _
                    "Internal Error Code: 001" & vbLf & _
                    "Application.Version " & Application.Version & vbLf & _
                    "Application.OperatingSystem " & Application.OperatingSystem

'protect workbook
1150  ActiveWorkbook.Protect Structure:=True, Windows:=False, Password:=getTheMainSheetProtectPWD
'protect sheets
1160  protectAllSheets

thank you so much!!
do you know why the erl line is reseted in the protectAllSheets procedure?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
it just returns the password for the workbook. one line of code.

Private Function getTheMainSheetProtectPWD() As String
getTheMainSheetProtectPWD = "thepassword"

End Function

Upvote 0
I'll walk you through a technique so you can determine why Erl is being cleared - adding a watch to Erl.

To show the watch window go to View | Watch Window.

In your procedure (the old one with the problem, not the amended one!) on line 1170, right click on Erl and choose Add Watch. In the context frame change the scope to (All Procedures) and (All Modules). In the watch type frame choose the "break when value changes" options - this will pause code execution each time Erl changes value.

Now when you run your procedure it should break on line 1140 (as a result of Erl changing to 1050). Then press F5 to resume code execution. It will break again when the Erl value changes again. At this point you need to examine the line prior to the one highlighted by the debugger.

HTH

Upvote 0
ok obviously the error line (erl) is reseted in this code line. i just tried it out..

Code:
ActiveWorkbook.Protect Structure:=True, Windows:=False, Password:=getTheMainSheetProtectPWD
it seems like the function "ActiveWorkbook.Protect" resets the erl variable!?

edit: this post is not a reply to the previous post. i will try this watch stuff afterwards..

Upvote 0
ok this is the reply to the watch-variable post:

the erl variable is obviously reseted by the calls of

On Error Resume Next And
On Error GoTo 0

this could make sense.. what do you think?

ah yes.. here is the getTheMainSheetProtectPWD which i m using and which i did not posted before. because i removed exactly the two calls that resulted in the behaviour and which are not very usefull. :) at least in this method..

Code:
    On Error Resume Next
    On Error GoTo 0
End Function

Last edited:
Upvote 0

On Error Resume Next And
On Error GoTo 0

Good work and yes - that makes perfect sense. ;)

But those two lines aren't in any of your previous posts, so where do they come from?

Upvote 0
hehe.. yes you are right :)

i removed them before posting the source since i thought these two lines make no sense and i did not wanted to post it..:biggrin:

funny that exactly these two lines resulted in the behaviour we were searching for.. my fault ..;)

have a nice day!

Upvote 0

On Error Resume Next And
On Error GoTo 0

ah yes.. here is the getTheMainSheetProtectPWD which i m using and which i did not posted before. because i removed exactly the two calls that resulted in the behaviour and which are not very usefull. :) at least in this method..

Code:
    On Error Resume Next
    On Error GoTo 0
End Function

Right... so On Error Resume Next clears the err object and erl. That is what is causing the problem. What you can do to avoid the issue, is store the relevant values in variables before any further action. That way you can be sure you won't lose them prematurely.

As a follow up to this thread, you might find the following to be interesting and informative:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ErrorHandling.htm
http://www.fmsinc.com/TPapers/vbacode/Debug.asp
http://www.keysound.com/html/line_numbers.htm

Hope that helps...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hehe.. yes you are right :)

i removed them before posting the source since i thought these two lines make no sense and i did not wanted to post it..:biggrin:

funny that exactly these two lines resulted in the behaviour we were searching for.. my fault ..;)

have a nice day!

No worries! The upside is that we got to use the watch window, so hopefully you'll find that technique helpful in the future. :)

Edit: By the way, you can delete the watch by right clicking on the expression in the watch window and choosing Delete Watch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayEggleton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back