Get rid of merged cells! Debate

I realize that to the regulars here, I'm sure this is a sign of the apocalypse – me actually re-tracking a thread back on course for however brief of a span…

The only times I have *ever* used merged cells in a workbook I was building have been to create an Excel version of US gov't forms or shipping label-type output. I was able to build forms that looked so much like the originals that the gov't officials we were collaborating with could not tell the difference between mine and the PDF version printed from the internet.

Having Excel versions made workflow better as I was able to use validation & VBA to boost productivity. Aside from this type of application (needing a specific layout like forms or labels), I have never found merged cells' PITA overhead to outweigh any possible benefit.

IMHO, if the worksheet is intended for actual number crunching, merged cells are just plain bad voodoo.

OK – Emma, Richard, there’s your cue: “voodoo”, what can you do with that?

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Did you know that voodoo doesn't actually involve sticking pins in dolls at all? Apparently it's Eastern European witchcraft that does that. Voodoo does use doll things for healing rituals though. According to QI, anyway.

I guess that answers the age old question:
"If voodoo practitioners don't stick pins in dolls, hoodoo?"

Merged cells? Well – I must admit that they can get in the way somewhat, however, for the purposes of displaying data on reports, etc. they can be quite useful. Yes there are always alternatives but not necessarily satisfactory ones. Let’s say I have a report spanning 10 columns and I want a heading in row 1 centred across the top. If it were 9 columns, I could place my heading in column E and centre the text, but I have 10 columns……so what do I do? I “merge-and-centre” cells A1:J1….job done.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
On the other hand, they can be a real pain in the @rse. Trying to manipulate worksheets with merged cells can be a nightmare. Personally I’m fed up with paper clip guy pooping up and saying “You’re a complete %&$*£, you’ve used merged cells and I refuse to deal with them for you”.
<o:p> </o:p>
In conclusion: Merged cells have a time and place and that is for making things look pretty. Other than that….avoid them like the plague :)

Lewiy - CENTRE ACROSS SELECTION!

(I can't believe you are one of Them. I always thought you were a good guy...)

Lewiy - CENTRE ACROSS SELECTION!
Im<SUP>1</SUP> actually curious. Excel under UK settings: does the tooltip show the American ("merge and center") or British ("merge and centre")? How about the fill & font buttons? Tooltips show "Fill Color" & "Font Color"? Or "Fill Colour" and "Font Colour"?

<HR>1. Please use the extraneous apostrophe in Richard's post here. That should balance the books grammar wise for Emma.

Although I have been away from the business use of Excel for several months, I remember vividly that merged cells were always a pain. When I taught classes on Excel, that was one of the first items on the forbidden list in a project.

Actually there were a few instances when I used merged cells sparingly. I would work with data on several worksheets, then have many setup worksheets, and then on the display worksheet that pulled data from the setup worksheets I would use an occasional merged cell... like once every year or two. :)

Greg,
The tooltips are American.
Shouldn't your superscript 1 be between the I and m?

Im<SUP>1</SUP> actually curious. Excel under UK settings: does the tooltip show the American ("merge and center") or British ("merge and centre")? How about the fill & font buttons? Tooltips show "Fill Color" & "Font Color"? Or "Fill Colour" and "Font Colour"?
[/SIZE]

American spellings in Europe too for both, you thread hijacker, you...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omarahmed99

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back