Getting code to work in 64 Bit Excel

Gborden800

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All, I have the following bit of code that I need to modify to run on both 32 and 64 bit versions of Excel.
Is the If-Then-Else statement okay (addition of PtrSafe and LongPtr are correct)?

Do I also need to put the BROWSEINFO declaration inside the If-Then-Else statement with Longptr types for the 64 bit version and Long types for the 32 bit version?

VBA Code:
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
' modBrowseFolder
' This contains the BrowseFolder function, which displays the standard Windows Browse For Folder
' dialog. It returns the complete path of the selected folder or vbNullString if the user cancelled.
' It also contains the function BrowseFolderExplorer which presents the user with a Windows
' Explorer-like interface to pick the folder.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Private Const BIF_RETURNONLYFSDIRS As Long = &H1
Private Const BIF_DONTGOBELOWDOMAIN As Long = &H2
Private Const BIF_RETURNFSANCESTORS As Long = &H8
Private Const BIF_BROWSEFORCOMPUTER As Long = &H1000
Private Const BIF_BROWSEFORPRINTER As Long = &H2000
Private Const BIF_BROWSEINCLUDEFILES As Long = &H4000

Private Type BROWSEINFO
    hOwner As Long
    pidlRoot As Long
    pszDisplayName As String
    lpszINSTRUCTIONS As String
    ulFlags As Long
    lpfn As Long
    lParam As Long
    iImage As Long
End Type

#If VBA7 Then
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function SHGetPathFromIDListA Lib "shell32.dll" (ByVal pidl As LongPtr, _
        ByVal pszBuffer As String) As Long

Private Declare PtrSafe Function SHBrowseForFolderA Lib "shell32.dll" (lpBrowseInfo As _
        BROWSEINFO) As Long
#Else
    Private Declare Function SHGetPathFromIDListA Lib "shell32.dll" (ByVal pidl As Long, _
        ByVal pszBuffer As String) As Long

Private Declare Function SHBrowseForFolderA Lib "shell32.dll" (lpBrowseInfo As _
        BROWSEINFO) As Long
#End If

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Compared to similar declarations, it seems you have it right. I don't think you need to put the TYPE inside the #IF

Upvote 0
The article linked by rlv01 is great. You'll need conditional compilation on BROWSEINFO since 4 of those fields need to be LongPtr types in 64-bit. Jan Karel Pieterse has a fantastic web site page with examples of these particular API and Type declarations:

Declaring API functions for 64 bit Office (and Mac Office)
Okay, makes sense. I will add the conditional compilation on BROWSEINFO and see if that works. Thanks!

Upvote 0
It works. I had to put the BROWSEINFO structure inside the IF statement. Thanks everybody!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweetkt327

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back