Golf scoring and recording

Status
Not open for further replies.
juniper622 said:
I don't agree with the comments about the requirement of the Template Wizard. It's not necessary for use of the scorecard only but does make it easy for users to keep a record of scores. As for the wider use of the Template Wizard it is common in the corporate environment and used to assist many less experienced users get the best from Excel.

However, I have taken the comments constructively and added additional instructions to the scorecard and posted a note on the page about the need to use the template wizard for the database.

The download issues were related to the server. This should be resolved as I have moved the site to a different server. I would also recommend users consider Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.

I have noted your comments about Template Wizard, but would it not be simpler if the user could just click a button to update the Database?

It is quite simple to create a macro to do that but since you appear to be happy with using Template Wizard I will not pursue it further.

Re the Scorecard, it could be simplified a bit by clearing the formulas from columns J-K-M-N-O-R-S-U-V-W, and then changing your formula in P12, which is presently =IF(L12<1,"",IF((2+O12+N12)>-1,(2+O12+N12),0)), to :-

=IF(L12<1,"",IF((2+$E12-L12+IF(L$8-$F12<0,0,IF(L$8-$F12<18,1,IF(L$8-$F12<36,2,3))))>-1,(2+$E12-L12+IF(L$8-$F12<0,0,IF(L$8-$F12<18,1,IF(L$8-$F12<36,2,3)))),0))

and then copying this to P13:P20 and P24:P32

Alternatively, if you use the Custom Function in the link I posted earlier, instead of the above formula, you could use :-

=StablefordPoints(T$8,T12,$F12,$E12)

Or even better (in my opinion), all formulas on the Scorecard could be eliminated by putting the StablefordPoints function in a normal module and putting this in the sheet module :-

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim r%
If Not Intersect(Target, [L12:L20,L24:L32,T12:T20,T24:T32]) Is Nothing Then
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Selection.Cells.Count > 1 Then
        Application.Undo
        MsgBox "Input the score for one hole at a time."
        Application.EnableEvents = True
        Exit Sub
    End If
    r = Target.Row
    Target(1, 5) = StablefordPoints(Cells(8, Target.Column), Target, Cells(r, 6), Cells(r, 5))
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End If
End Sub

One other small point, your Clear_Scorecard code could be changed to :-

[L12:L20,L24:L32,T12:T20,T24:T32].ClearContents

Or if you decide to eliminate formulas from the Scorecard and use VBA only, it would need to be :-

Application.EnableEvents=False
[L12:L20,L24:L32,T12:T20,T24:T32,P12:P20,P24:P32,X12:X20,X24:X32].ClearContents
Application.EnableEvents=True

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
juniper622 said:
As for the wider use of the Template Wizard it is common in the corporate environment

Just an aside, I'm wondering on what grounds you are basing this assumption. Do you have stats? Because none of the machines within my organisation have the template wizard installed on them because it does not form part of the "standard" build; this is additionally the case for numerous other companies that I know of.

Just my $0.02,

Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheerfulWalker

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back