Google sheets formula help

lizmorton1990

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I need help with a formula. I want certain text to display if someone adds any text into a certain cell, but only if that course is in a list. So far I have:

=iferror(vlookup(J2,'CF Core & Supplementary Courses'!A:C,3,0), "")

But I need to add in if cell FR has any text or numbers added (doesn't matter what it is), so if someone adds 'Yes' to column FR then the above formula will trigger and if the J2 is found in the CF core tab then it will return column C, but if J2 is not found I need the cell to be blank regardless of what they have added to column FR.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
so if someone adds 'Yes' to column FR then the above formula will trigger
on what sheet the same sheet as J2 is entered
AND
is it anywhere in column FR - so if column FR is completely blank , then the formula =iferror(vlookup(J2,'CF Core & Supplementary Courses'!A:C,3,0), "") will not be used
if so
then
IF( COUNTA(FR:FR)=0, "", iferror(vlookup(J2,'CF Core & Supplementary Courses'!A:C,3,0), ""))

Upvote 0
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for replying. It might help if I attach what I am seeing. Column J has a list of codes that are also in tab CF Core & Supplementary Courses in column A. So on this example on the bottom row I have added a date in column FR, what I ideally want is for column FS to show 'CHECK before discontinuing' but if column FR doesn't have anything in it then column FS should be blank. That text in column FS i.e 'CHECK ....' is from tab 'CF Core & Supplementary Courses' in column C.

I am just trying to get people to stop and think when adding a date into column FR.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-07 15.33.51.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-07 15.33.51.png
    155.1 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
so its not anywhere in column FR - just on the same row
where is the lookup formula putting results from column C ?
what I ideally want is for column FS to show 'CHECK before discontinuing' but if column FR doesn't have anything in it then column FS should be blank.
=IF( FR="", "", "check before discontinuing")
not sure where the lookup comes into play now
so if someone adds 'Yes' to column FR then the above formula will trigger and if the J2 is found in the CF core tab then it will return column C, but if J2 is not found I need the cell to be blank regardless of what they have added to column FR.
return column C to what cell

Sorry i seem to making a bit of an issue here , as i'm not following exactly

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
panjongshing

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back