Got the formula, Need an Explanation

Willmonbo

Board Regular
I needed to find the second instance of the "/" charachter within a text string, and searched the web and found this and it works, since what i need was the rest of the text string to the right, but I can't figure out how you arrice at this construction and why this works, i'd greatly appreciate if one can give me a brief explanation.

following is the formula;

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("^^",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","^^",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","")))))

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
In the main menu click Formulas > Select Evaluate Formula > click Evaluate button and watch excel evaluate formula step by step

Upvote 0
I needed to find the second instance of the "/" charachter within a text string, and searched the web and found this and it works, since what i need was the rest of the text string to the right, but I can't figure out how you arrice at this construction and why this works, i'd greatly appreciate if one can give me a brief explanation.

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("^^",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","^^",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","")))))
You will probably figure this out after following Teethless mama's suggestion, but if your always looking for the second instance of "/" (rather than the last), then this shorter version would work too:

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("^^",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","^^",2)))

Upvote 0

This will do the same thing and is a bit shorter and eaier to understand. Assumes there will always be 2 "slashes" in the string:

A1: This/That/The Other

=MID(A2,FIND("^^",SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/","^^",2))+1,50)

Within the string This/That/The Other, replace the 2nd instance of "/" with "^^", find the character location number of "^^", add 1 to that location number and extract the next 50 characters starting from that point.

Upvote 0

RIGHT this function will pull X number of characters starting at the right end of a text string
LEN this function will determine how many characters (the length) of a text string
FIND this function will find the position of the character or characters
SUBSTITUTE this function will substitute a character or string of characters with another. It can replace ALL or a specific instance

The trick of the formula is replacing the correct "/" (1st, second, 3rd, etc) with a unique character set that will not be found anywhere else in your text string ("^^"). To determine which "/" instance to replace the
LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","")) part of the formula is called. This will calculate the total length of the string. It then replaces all instance of "/" and calculates the length. The total length is then subtracted from the revised length without the "/". This value represents which instance of use in the first SUBSTITUTE formula:

SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","^^",...

The first SUBSTITUTE formula then replaces the correct instance of "/" with "^^". The FIND function is then used to determine the position of "^^" within the string. This position is subtracted from the overall length (LEN(A1)-FIND("^^",...) to figure out how many places starting from the right need to be pulled.

Its important to note that the formula you found will pull the last set of characters of a string if there are 2 "/" or 3 or 4 etc since it is designed to find the position of the last "/". So...

test/1234/this is what I want = This is what I want
test/1234/not this/but this = But This

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davenil

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back