Graphing: creating a y-axis intercept for a trend-line where the x-axis shows dates

squidgeny

Board Regular
Hi guys,

I'm having a problem which is really baffling me.

I have a table with two columns:
Column A: Various dates between 1 Jan 2013 and 31 Dec 2013
Column B: Various number values

I have created a scatter chart using this data. The x-axis show dates, as desired. I want to place a trend-line on the graph which intercepts the Y-axis at zero. However, there seems to be no option for this - instead there is an option only to intercept at "zero, zero" which is no good to me because the zero for the x-axis is 1 Jan 1900.

Is there any way to solve this and still keep the date labels on the x-axis?

I realise I can use the formula to calculate the intercept, but new data will be added to this chart all the time and it won't be practical to keep doing that calculation.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Hi,

I don't think I fully understand the issue. Perhaps it would help if you said wht you meant by zero - as in "which intercepts the Y-axis at zero."

If I force the axis to start at the minimum date value then I can add a trend line which reaches the y-axis and indicates an intercept graphically.

Also, I can use the =INTERCEPT() worksheet function to calculate the intercept. Instead of using the real x-axis values I can use those values with the first date subtracted from them all (in an extra column). This gives the value at which the trend line reaches the y-axis assuming that date is "zero".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back