Height of columns in graph

Giordano Bruno

I have a column graph with 100 columns that form a bell curve. It nicely fits the graph frame. When I reduce the width and height of the graph in the same proportions, the columns reduce in height disproportionally more than the reduction in the frame size. The result is a graph that looks more like a speed hump than a bell. Is there anyway in which I can increase the overall height of the columns so that they approach the top of the smaller frame. I'm using Excel 365.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
you should be able to drag and resize the "plot" area up to the top of the chart area(top of the main frame). You can also adjust the gap and overlap sizes of the columns to make them closer or further apart, which could help with the "speed hump" look.

Upvote 0
Thanks awoohaw. The plot area in the original and the smaller graphs are both at the top ot the graph frame. When I experiment with the graph, I can drag the bottom corner to any size, but as it reduces, the top of the bars get closer to the mid height of the graph and never get lower. This means that the bell always looks flattened in graphs smaller than the original.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm unsure if your x axis is labeled or not. If it is not, then I suggest making the column bars narrower as that will help reduce the flattening.

Upvote 0
Thanks awoohaw. The problem is that I'm trying to fit the graph onto a cell group and it's inconvenient if the graph frame overlaps the space available.
I've made a workaround by multiplying the data values by log(10) of the values which increases the range and so increases the height. It's not ideal. but it's the best I can come up with.

Upvote 0
Well, that fix worked until it didn't. I believe this is a bug. In the reduced size chart, the height toggles between full height and half height depending upon the values in the data series. If I change the 21st value from 1904761.9047619 to 1904761.90476191, the smaller chart switches from half height to full height. My next fix it to double the height and width of everthing on the target sheet so that I can use the full size chart and view the sheet at 50%.

Upvote 0
okay, well, my expertise on this is maxed out. I hope you can figure it out. Maybe someone else will post some information. I'm sure there are some charting and dash-boarding experts and books/website consultants that are available.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Slatter

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back