Help and Guidance PLEASE. Cell Popultaes by formula BUT I also need a drop down???

Mister H

Hi All:

I am using Excel 2010 and I am looking for Guidance on the best way to accomplish a tasjk. I have a spreadsheet that based on the Office Location and type of credit card selected another cell will populate with a merchant number. All the info is pulled off a table. Here is a formula that I used that is working for me:

=IF(B60="CC",LOOKUP(LocationName,MinLocationName,CCmerchantNo),IF(B60="AMEX",LOOKUP(LocationName,MinLocationName,AmexMerchNo),""))

The problem I now have is that currently there are 20 LocationName on the table. Each location has a specific CCmerchantNo and a specific AmexMercNo

ONE LocationName now requires 2 CCmerchantNo and 2 AmexMercNo which means I can not use the formula for this area but instead need a drop down.

QUESTION: Is there a way of setting up the spreadsheet so that if one of the 19 locations that have only 1 number are selected then the MercNo is automatically filled in but if the otyher location is selected then the user MUST choose the MerchNo from a drop down list???

I have my doubts that i am being clear enough but HOPEFULLY someone understands my garbled request enough to tell me if it is doable and maybe point me in the right direction...?

THANKS,
Mark

OK now I put the code in a module and it now Sort Of Works. All entries that I make in G2 Except for Big are bringing up the Input Box??? If I type in Large I am asked to:

Please enter number:
1. 4
2. 4

I just started playing around with the sheet so maybe I messed something up. Prior to your last post I had placed the code in the sheet1 instead of a Module.

Any idea why I the Inoput Box comes up for everything except Big?

THANKS,
Mark

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Don't understand. It should only throw up the messagebox if the entry appears twice in the list. It does that with me although what I sometimes have is that when entering something somewhere else on the sheet the box pops up as well, what i don't understand, and it is not consistent. But perhaps I can cure that.

But first we need to find out why it is coming up with the box when you enter a value which only appears once.

So we need to do some debugging: Open the macroeditor, double click on module1 to open the module (maybe it is already open). Now to the left of the function in the border click once so that a red dot appears and the line turns red. Yu have now set a breakpoint and the function will stop here when it runs.

Edit the cell F2 with a value that appears only once. When you press Enter the macroeditor pops up and the red line has a yellow arrow in front of it. Now by pressing the F-8 key you can step through the macro. So you can see what it is doing. At any point you can hold your mouse pointer over a variable to see what value it has.

Play with it to see if you can find what it is doing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mr_ordinaryboy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back