Help Copying Certain Cells

EB08

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
I don't have access to the file right at this moment...but I will try to describe it the best I can. In Column A there is an empty cell with a gray background followed by about 5 cells of text (space between gray cells varies). I need to (if possible) be able to write something that looks for each gray cell in column A, copies the next two cells down from that gray cell, and pastes in in another sheet. That is probably the best I can do without seeing the sheet again...Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated, I'm not expecting anybody to write the code, but some pointers in the right direction would be great.

Hi,

I've tried to make a fast running code. It doesn't use any loop, so even with a large amount of data this would be fairly quick.
Code:
Option Explicit

Sub copy_cells()
'Erik Van Geit
'080624
'NateO pointed me to the idea

'PURPOSE
'copy 3 (or other amount of) cells after each grey (or any color) cell to other sheet
'EXAMPLE
'if A2 and A10 are grey, then A3:A5,A11:A13 will be copied

'fontcolor          24
'background color   63
'strikethrough      23

Const crit = 63
Const col = 1       'column to check
Const nr = 3        'number of cells to copy
Const clr = 15      'colorindex to check

Dim rng As Range

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

ThisWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="Color", RefersToR1C1:="=GET.CELL(" & crit & ",!RC[" & col & "])"

With Worksheets(1)
    .Columns("A:B").Insert
    .Rows("1:" & nr).Insert

Set rng = .Range(.Cells(1, 2), .Cells(.Cells(.Rows.Count, col + 2).End(xlUp).Row, 2))
    rng.Formula = "=Color"

Set rng = .Range(.Cells(4, 1), .Cells(.Cells(.Rows.Count, col + 2).End(xlUp).Row, 1))
    rng.FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(" & clr & ",R[-1]C[1]:R[-3]C[1],0)),1,"""")"
    .Columns(1).AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=1

Set rng = .Range(.Cells(4, col + 2), .Cells(.Cells(.Rows.Count, col + 2).End(xlUp).Row, col + 2))

With Sheets(2)
        .Columns("A").ClearContents
        rng.Copy .Range("A1")
        End With

.Columns("A:B").Delete
    .Rows("1:" & nr).Delete
    End With    

ThisWorkbook.Names("Color").Delete

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Data will be pasted on sheet 2: change if needed

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
well...it works, but I sure don't understand it! My co-worker thanks you...it was quite the large list of info. Any way you could "sum up" how this whole thing works?...even understanding a few lines of this would surely help me in the long run. Much appreciated.

Upvote 0
the best thing you can do is to step through the code using function key F8

Code:
ThisWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="Color", RefersToR1C1:="=GET.CELL(" & crit & ",!RC[" & col & "])"
This line is inserting a named range which is relative: retrieving the colorindex from the cell to the right of it.
You can check the names list after that line is done.

Then 2 columns and some rows (depending of the number of cells to copy) are inserted.
2 columns are filled with formulas
again check your sheet after those lines

You will see that column A (or another column depending of how you have set the constants) now contains blanks and "1"s.
A simple autofilter will now show only the "1"s
Code:
.Columns(1).AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=1
the rest of the code is almost plain english

advantage of this process: you can even do it manually in less then one minute (if you know how to do it :) )

Upvote 0
Thanks Erik...You've been a big help. I appreciate you taking the time to put some of that into english for me!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back