Help defining named ranges

kcin

Board Regular
Hello,

I'm really not sure how to describe exactly what I'm trying to do but I'll give it my best shot.

I have a worksheet with some data that I collect from another source and subsequently create a graph with. The data contains company names in column A, and a corresponding value in column B. Now different companies belong to different categories from which I would like to group up and calculate averages with. So what I would like to do is be able to assign each company name to its "group" and then be able to use the formula:

=AVERAGE(Group1) and so forth

Currently the way I am calculating the averages is by putting a "1" in column C for companies that belong to group 1, and then using an IF formula in column D to only show values for companies with a "1". Then I can see just the average for those companies.

So what I want to be able to do is select several companies from Column A and their corresponding value in Column B and name the entire set as a group. Then in Column B I can just use the average formula with the named range. I will have to use multiple selections for the range as well as the list is in alphabetical order.

I know there has to be a much easier way of doing this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Does the version of excel you're working with have pivot tables? If so, that's probably your best bet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingiloum

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back