Help entering a formula containing variables

asmith4035

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am new to VBA but working hard to learn
I used 2 InputBoxes to get 2 variables, Rows2Insert and InsertAfter. I want to use these variables in a relative formula in an active cell. My attempt, that doesn't work is:
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(RC[1]>=insertafter,RC[1]+Rows2Insert,RC[1])"
This is what goes into the cell
=IF(CQ3>=@insertafter,CQ3+@Rows2Insert,CQ3)
Thanks, alan

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Hi, While waiting for other experts, I will share my thought here

It would be good if you can share your case by posting a screenshot by install an add in (xlbb) in your excel
  • Want to help your helpers by posting a small, copyable, screen shot directly in your post? XL2BB Instructions & Download (latest January 2021 v 2.0 )

Book1
ABC
2aa24
Sheet1

VBA Code:
Sub test()
Dim rows2insert, InsertAfter As Integer

rows2insert = InputBox("input rows2insert")
InsertAfter = InputBox("Input InsertAfter")

If ActiveCell.Value >= InsertAfter Then
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) = ActiveCell.Value + rows2insert 'If active cell = b2 then result will be in c2 - Offset row 0 column 1 = C2 
Else
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) = ActiveCell.Value
End If

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Book1
ABC
1Rows2Insert2
2InsertAfter2
4ActiveCell Formula
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B5:B6B5=IF(A5>=$B$2,A5+$B$1,A5)

VBA Code:
Sub test()

rows2insert = [b1].Value
InsertAfter = [b2].Value

For Each ss In Range("a5:a" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row)
        If ss.Value >= InsertAfter Then
            ss.Offset(0, 2).Value = ss.Value + InsertAfter
        Else
            ss.Offset(0, 2).Value = ss.Value
        End If

Next ss
End Sub

this one is dynamic loop version, it will start checking starting from a5 into last row

Upvote 0
If you're looking to insert a formula, try:

VBA Code:
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(RC[1]>=" & InsertAfter & ",RC[1]+" & Rows2Insert & ",RC[1])"

Note how the 2 variables must be handled differently.

Upvote 0
Hi, While waiting for other experts, I will share my thought here

It would be good if you can share your case by posting a screenshot by install an add in (xlbb) in your excel
  • Want to help your helpers by posting a small, copyable, screen shot directly in your post? XL2BB Instructions & Download (latest January 2021 v 2.0 )

Book1
ABC
2aa24
Sheet1

VBA Code:
Sub test()

rows2insert = InputBox("input rows2insert")
InsertAfter = InputBox("Input InsertAfter")

If ActiveCell.Value >= InsertAfter Then
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) = ActiveCell.Value + rows2insert 'If active cell = b2 then result will be in c2 - Offset row 0 column 1 = C2
Else
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) = ActiveCell.Value
End If

End Sub
Thank you for your reply. I tried installing XL2BB and ran into a problem. I don't remember exactly what the problem was, my brain was scrabbled so I took a break. I will give your solution a shot and let you know what happens. Thank you again

Upvote 0
Book1
ABC
1Rows2Insert2
2InsertAfter2
4ActiveCell Formula
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B5:B6B5=IF(A5>=$B$2,A5+$B$1,A5)

VBA Code:
Sub test()

rows2insert = [b1].Value
InsertAfter = [b2].Value

For Each ss In Range("a5:a" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row)
        If ss.Value >= InsertAfter Then
            ss.Offset(0, 2).Value = ss.Value + InsertAfter
        Else
            ss.Offset(0, 2).Value = ss.Value
        End If

Next ss
End Sub

this one is dynamic loop version, it will start checking starting from a5 into last row
Thank You Rudud, I will give this a shot. I want to figure it out and understand it NOT just copy it into my workbook. My first understanding, it looks to me that instead of putting a formula in a cell and copying down, the macro examines one cell at a time and inserts a value in column C and moves down one row at a time? Is that close/
Thanks Again, I appreciate your time.

Upvote 0
If you're looking to insert a formula, try:

VBA Code:
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(RC[1]>=" & InsertAfter & ",RC[1]+" & Rows2Insert & ",RC[1])"

Note how the 2 variables must be handled differently.
Thank for your suggestion Eric W. It didnt seem to work. I got the message "Run-time error '104': and "Application defined or object defined error"
I don't know how to fix it.

Upvote 0
Thank You Rudud, I will give this a shot. I want to figure it out and understand it NOT just copy it into my workbook. My first understanding, it looks to me that instead of putting a formula in a cell and copying down, the macro examines one cell at a time and inserts a value in column C and moves down one row at a time? Is that close/
Thanks Again, I appreciate your time.

Hi @asmith4035 ,

The code will loop from cell a5 to the last cell of column A end xl up (which is 6 for now) .

Actually, there are other methods to go about it, depending on what you want to accomplish. I think other experts here will have a different perspective and provide you with additional options as well.

Upvote 0
I tried installing XL2BB and ran into a problem. I don't remember exactly what the problem was
I suggest that you try again and if you still have a problem post a thread** in the About This Board forum and describe what the problem is and at what stage of the installation or usage of the Add-In you had the problem.

** Before starting a thread in About This Board review the "Stickies" at the top of the forum in case your issue is covered there.

Upvote 0
I suggest that you try again and if you still have a problem post a thread** in the About This Board forum and describe what the problem is and at what stage of the installation or usage of the Add-In you had the problem.

** Before starting a thread in About This Board review the "Stickies" at the top of the forum in case your issue is covered there.
Thank You Peter_SSs, I will try again and follow your suggestions, paying more attention to record to the problem if I have one next time.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back